The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Collapsible ad-blocking (like PithHelmet) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Perhaps this is somehow already possible, but I didn't see anything about it in the manual.

I appreciate the ad-blocking feature, but aesthetically, grey boxes in place of the ads are sometimes not a whole lot better.

With Safari & PithHelmet, I like how it's possible for the ad space to collapse and be hidden from view altogether. This is really the best part of ad-blocking for me. Removing the space used by a banner ad for examples allows for more content on screen.

So, I'm not sure how difficult it is to achieve, but I hereby request it. :p

you might want to make a search on MacUpdate or VersionTracker for BFilter and there will be no more probs about ads and banners

BFilter does not collapse anything. It does a superb job of blocking ads but you will have grey frames all over the place. I'll leave out my views of Pithhelmet which are not all that favorable.

OW's built-in blocker along with a simple css style sheet get's rid of all ads and about 50% of the frames on my install. Other than 3 Yahoo! specific servers I've added, the 3 filters OW provided appear to do everything I need.

Using Safari with SafariBlock get's rid of 99% of the ads and the frames about 80% of the time. Highly recommended if you use Safari as well.

There's no perfect browser but if OW could collapse all banner frames it would be as close to perfect as I would want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artherstrasse
BFilter ... does a superb job of blocking ads but you will have grey frames all over the place.
your statement is outdated, see here a MacUpdate Description:

Quote:
BFilter Version 1.0.6:

Mac OS X installer will select a different port if 8080 is taken.
Fixed a problem with windows installer remote proxy auto-detection.
New option to remove ads completely, as opposed to subsituting them with a clickable replacement image.
more info:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20181

but you are right saying it does a good job, that's my experience

give privoxy a try. it does not matter what browser you use and does a great job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestaton
give privoxy a try. it does not matter what browser you use and does a great job.
it may do a good job but i wonder that you don't mention it's awfull slowness.
Bfilter does NOT slow down navigation. no, i'm not affiliated with Bfilter ;)

After thinking I had BFilter working then realizing Omniweb does a great job as is, and getting a few problems straightened out I finally got BFilter running. So far so good, the user.local is very easy to edit and seems to be working good. It would be nice if they would include a restart script, but after a bit of searching on google I figured out how to do it.

bravo on the recommendation. it does appear to be a lot faster than privoxy.

Last edited by thestaton; 2006-11-15 at 12:34 PM..

Collapsing the blocked adds would be very nice. I second that.