The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Next actions and due dates in sequential projects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
A sequential project has a due date, which is shown in the project view and on the next action in the context view.

However, I'm confused by what happens when a project is due next month, but has an intermediate action due next week with several earlier actions needing to be completed in sequence before that intermediate due date.

What appears to happen is that the actions which need to be completed before next week's deadline are marked with the project's due date, not the intermediate action's due date. I would understand this behaviour if it were a project with parallel actions, but it seems to me that in a sequential project, those actions which are listed to be completed before an action set with a hard date should have this indicated somehow.

Viewed by context, actions which must be completed before an action due next week are shown as due next month, which I find somewhat misleading. I feel sure this isn't how it's supposed to work, and that I must be doing something wrong or missing a trick, but I can't see what. Should I be making nests of actions within the project? Or should all actions be given due dates, regardless that they are listed sequentially?

Advice please!