The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > Kinkless Getting Things Done
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

KGTD Destroys an Unrelated OO3 Document Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm a new user of both OO and kGTD and have created a huge amount of information in a few days with both tools.

The problem is that a few moments ago, when I ran the Sync script on my kGTD document and switched to another, unrelated OO document, the script has overwritten it and left me with the 'updating...' message. For a second, my data was formatted in kGTD stylee, but now I have a new, blank, kGTD document with the instructions for use on the project page.

I instantly quit without saving, but it seems that the problem remains - odd. I have even re-started OO, to no avail.

I must presume that my data has gone.

How can the script affect another document and destroy it in this way? I would have thought that exiting without saving would at least take me back to the last version.

I need to guard against this ever happening again. What can I do?

I don't have a back-up, I was in the process of building automator actions to transfer my environment to a memory stick, and debug the Back-up QuickPick which did not work.

Any help would be appreciated!

This has happened to me, too, and it scared me quite a bit. Kinkless, when you run it, looks for the frontmost OmniOutliner document, as there isn't a way to check which document's toolbar was clicked to run the script. Plus, Kinkless is set up to save the document immediately after running the script, so that you don't lose anything after synchronizing.

Thankfully, whenever it runs on a new document, Kinkless creates a backup version of that document, next to the original. You should check in the folder of the document you accidentally Kinklessified to find the backup version, which is titled "Old Pre-Upgrade" and then the name of the file.

In the future, when using Kinkless, I recommend making sure that the synchronization has started before switching to a different OmniOutliner window. These kinds of inconveniences are the reason we're excited to be making OmniFocus...

Thanks for the reply, I've found the back-up and restored the data.

Making that copy was a very good piece of programming!

Many thanks