The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Struggling with recurring tasks and sorting items on iOS Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Im wondering how people deal with recurring tasks.

The sorting of actions in omnifocus ipad & iphone is not good - there doesnt seem to be any consistency. I guess its all about entering as much info into each project/action/task and then just looking at the next action available... i still like to order it my way... and so recurring tasks - how do people deal with these with in a project view?

Keep in the relevant project? Or moving to separate project?
Move them to a folder within the project?

Do people find sorting i omnifocus for the ipad & iphone an issue?

At the moment ive moved all my recurring tasks to an app called "DUE' for the iphone - not ideal but i just dont like it cluttering up projects. I only have some specific so mostly my projects are life sections - Health, Financial, Cycling, Travel, etc etc. Probably not the right way round - should maybe objective driven....

How do people organise projects?

Sorry if the post is alittle rambling.

I've got a couple of folders - Home, Work, Health, etc - and then projects go within those folders as appropriate. I put more-important projects above less-important ones in each folder, and rank the folders against each other the same way.

Moving actions out of their projects seems like it would make it harder to remember where those actions fit into the projects it came from - I haven't heard of folks working that way before, but if it works for you, that's really all that matters. :-)

Different screens in the iOS apps sort in different ways - for example the Due Soon and Overdue lists are going to first sort by due date (earliest at the top, latest at the bottom) and break ties by looking at the order of your Projects in that screen.

In other words, if you have two actions with the same due date & due time, the action from the Project that's closest to the top of that list is going to be listed above the other one.

Does that help at all? If you give us more info about what you're struggling with, we can probably provide more specific help.

(BTW, I'm going to tweak the title of your thread a bit, so other folks with similar questions will be more likely to find it in a thread search.)

No problem renaming title.

Im going to rejig everything alittle. I remember having folders at the top level and projects inside - not sure why i changed from that - it makes more sense. Thanks for reminder.

But within the top level folders or projects do you have recurring tasks just left 'floating' around or you have a specific 'recurring' actions project in each top level section/folder?

The recurring actions ive moved outside omnifocus are day to day reminders - backup mbp, clean bike, wash bedding, renew books, pay blah blah - so not project driven. They do fall within 'projects' but are mostly maintenance type actions..... and alot of these are not time sensitive and omnifocus requires a time. They can be done at any time during that day more or less... (have requested dated but not timed tasks).

what do you think?

I don't have a specific project to hold recurring actions, but I do have a "Misc." single actions list which contains a mix of actions, including some repeating ones...

Ive re-organized everything and recurring fits in my new setup - which is not just a set of projects, its now all objective driven. Seems better. Thanks for using folders at top level reminder.