The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to turn off "Quick Entry" when tapping "+"? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
In landscape mode, while in a project, the "+" icon at the top right that is used to create a new entry is driving me crazy.

How do I turn off that second (extra) "Quick Entry" (additional choice) when tapping "+" to create a new action in a project? (IMHO, this is a superfluous extra menu that should not be here, and doesn't belong here given the context.)

I just want to create a new action with one tap, not two. If I need to create something in the InBox, there's already an icon for that at the top of the left hand sidebar.

I've scoured the forum for workarounds on this, to no avail.

Any suggestions really appreciated.

I have the latest OF and iOS on my iPad 1.

I've already emailed this to support with a bunch of suggestions.

—Sandy

Depends how OF for iPad is architected, especially around that button, but the + has a few different uses for new Projects, Folders, project or context specific actions and inbox actions.

Omni may be planning to expand it's usage, for example OF may in future allow nested projects, so in all future versions, I think that the + will be multifunctional.

There's nothing to stop a toolbar being introduced though, that may be a better request.

I think the reasoning probably was that quick entry is a feature likely to be used often, and that there should be a quick way to get there regardless of whether you are in landscape or portrait orientation. It always shows up as the last entry in the list, so you don't have to skip over it to get to the other stuff. It might seem as if removing the Quick Entry choice there would get you one-tap entry, but then again, it might not: if you tap-and-hold on a disclosure triangle for a project, you get a popup that only has one option, and you still have to tap on it to get the action.

Assuming they want to keep something resembling the current behavior for discoverability reasons, what if they implemented something like what the iPad keyboard does for things like ' and — where you could tap and swipe to the desired choice? If they can do it as quickly as the keyboard support does it, that would seem pretty easy to use, though I'm also content to just do a quick double-tap with the second tap a little lower than the first when using the +, no need to wait for the menu to appear.

I probably use the Quick Entry option under the + more often than I do the big Quick Entry button available in landscape mode, even though I spend most of my time in landscape mode. No need to think about which corner to go to...I'm preparing myself for the new iMac-sized 27" iPad due out any day now :-)