The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Items with unassigned contexts don't appear in Context View Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi - When I'm in Context View I am unable to see items that have yet to be assigned a context. I've tried many different things but no luck. Even the little inbox icon won't tell me the number of unassigned items that I have. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

In the sidebar, make sure you have the "inbox" labeled "No Context" as part of the selection (by default, it is not included). That contains all actions which do not have a context assigned.

As an aside, why not just assign a context when you add the action? I usually find that to be the easy part, and the assignment of a project to be the one requiring some thought...figuring out exactly which project an action belongs in is sometimes not so clear, but determining the context is almost never an issue, except where I've got a bunch of parallel sub-contexts (library branches, for example). Stuff lingers in my inbox from time to time because I haven't devoted the time to set up the project, but I don't think I've ever seen something stuck waiting with a project but no context!

Hi - Nothing I do by way of selecting anything in the sidebar makes the non-assigned actions appear. The inbox labeled "no context" doesn't even show the number of non-assigned items in it. For me to not be able to figure this out makes me wonder if this is buggy or just counter-intuitive. I know it makes sense to assign contexts as you enter but I'm just getting going and doing a big brain dump.

I suspect you're running into the fact that items in the actual In Box in planning mode do not appear in context mode at all.

Until an item has been moved from the Inbox into a project (or single action list), OF assumes you have not committed to doing it. If you haven't committed to doing it, then OF sensibly (to it) doesn't offer the action as something for you to do.

(Calling the No Context item in the sidebar an "in box" is likely to be confusing. Come to think of it, that the No Context icon looks like an in box might be part of the problem here. Maybe it should be a question mark?)

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
I suspect you're running into the fact that items in the actual In Box in planning mode do not appear in context mode at all.

Until an item has been moved from the Inbox into a project (or single action list), OF assumes you have not committed to doing it. If you haven't committed to doing it, then OF sensibly (to it) doesn't offer the action as something for you to do.

(Calling the No Context item in the sidebar an "in box" is likely to be confusing. Come to think of it, that the No Context icon looks like an in box might be part of the problem here. Maybe it should be a question mark?)
I wondered if I was perhaps contributing to confusion by referring to the "No Context" container as an "inbox", but for better or for worse, it does seem to bear a pixel-to-pixel comparison to that thing labeled "Inbox" in project/planning mode!

I should have thought of the possibility that these items were still in the Inbox. I'll attempt to redeem myself by pointing out that the "No Context" container doesn't display a count of the contained items, only those that are due soon or overdue, depending on settings in the Data pane of the OmniFocus preferences. This is true of all sidebar containers.