The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Split Tasks & Complete Tasks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Two issues I have with OP at the moment.

1. Complete tasks get rescheduled / releveled. When I have flagged a task as 100% complete, I don't want it to change in anyway. However, if I make changes to, say the availability of a resource, OP will reschedule the completed task and calculated a new end date. Am I missing anything here?

2. Split tasks. OP currenly defers the start of a task if there is a resource overload. I would like it to split the task and delay the completion date but leave the start date where it is.

Example: Task A (write a report) takes 3 hours and is scheduled to start at 9am and finish at 12am. Task B (a meeting) is added to the plan and must take place between 11am and 12am. I would expect the tool to reschedule such that Task A starts at 9am, stops at 11am, restarts at 12am and concludes at 1pm. Currently OP defers the start until 12am with a 3pm completion.

Whilst this is good in as much as it means it can sit at my desk between 9am and 11am eating bacon butties, drinking coffee and engaging in genaral "shenanigans and tomfoolery", it is of course not what the schedule should reflect.

Other than booking the meeting as unavailable time in my resource calendar, which is not ideal - is there some way of splitting tasks in this way.

Thank you.

Quote:
1. Complete tasks get rescheduled / releveled. When I have flagged a task as 100% complete, I don't want it to change in anyway. However, if I make changes to, say the availability of a resource, OP will reschedule the completed task and calculated a new end date. Am I missing anything here?
Could you send in the project files that show this behavior? I'd like to observe this behavior directly and write up a bug report. You can email it omniplan@omnigroup.com.

Quote:
2. Split tasks. OP currenly defers the start of a task if there is a resource overload. I would like it to split the task and delay the completion date but leave the start date where it is.
There isn't a way to split the task that way in OmniPlan right now. The only workaround you could do would be to create two tasks for Task A and call them "part 1" and "part 2". Not a very elegant solution I know.

We have a feature request for split tasks in our database so I'll add a vote to it for you. :)

I can't replicate the first point - when i do I'll be sure to send it to you.

A number of posters here have "votes" for suggested features.

Is there any visibility of which features may appear in which versions or is it simply case of waiting for the next beta and having a look. And is there a release schedule?

Cheers

O.T.B.C.

Quote:
A number of posters here have "votes" for suggested features.

Is there any visibility of which features may appear in which versions or is it simply case of waiting for the next beta and having a look. And is there a release schedule?
We track how many votes a request receives to see which features the majority of our users are asking for. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll always appear sooner, since some of the features will require a significant amount of time/work while others are easier to implement.

I'd have to say it's simply a case of waiting for the next beta and having a look. We generally don't announce upcoming features or give out estimated dates for specific features since there's always a chance of an unforeseen delay during development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwong View Post
There isn't a way to split the task that way in OmniPlan right now. The only workaround you could do would be to create two tasks for Task A and call them "part 1" and "part 2". Not a very elegant solution I know.
Did a "Split Task" feature ever get added? It's been almost two years now.

No, no "split task" in the shipping software. It does seem to this observer like that would be a relatively major feature, not just a minor cosmetic tweak, and thus likely to be in a major release, regardless of the passage of time...hopefully thoughts of how to best implement some of the frequent requests like split projects, repeating actions, etc. have been percolating in their skulls while they've been cranking out 1.1, 1.5, and 1.6 and we'll get something really great with 2.0, making it easy to justify shelling out for the upgrade.

We definitely still have 'split task' in the database of features to consider for future releases, and it would require a file format change as whpalmer guessed, so it will likely be in a major release rather than a minor one.

This is a huge issue for me, as I am a 1-person shop. Some of my projects are hundreds of hours long. I need to be able to work on 2 different projects "simultaneously"--i.e., maybe 1 in the morning, 1 in the afternoon. Is there some way to do this without splitting?

Maybe I should create multiple resources: Me-1, Me-2, Me-3?

And/or what about setting the resource allocation for Me-# to x% for a particular project?

Any other 1-person shops, please advise! Thanks.