The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Filtering by Overdue Items breaks Sequential processing Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean View Post
Here is what I mean by trust.

The purpose of having a planning section and a context section is...
you do your thinking first
then you do your doing.

Thinking is in the projects.
Doing is in the Contexts.
Much of the time, yes, that's how I'll work. Not all of the time. If my review suggests that there is a specific project or group of projects that I need to devote my attention to at the moment, I'm as likely to work out of project mode. If that project needs to get done today, the contexts are somewhat irrelevant to deciding what to do next, because clearly I'll have to put myself in the appropriate contexts.

Quote:
This is what is meant by trusting the system.
Do you trust that when you get to an action item, it is something that you can take action on.
Yes, I can and do trust that it is something I can take action on, because I either get it from project mode or from an available/next action view in context mode.

An example:

(sorry, I clipped off the view bar, but it was Group by Due, Sort by Project, Due Soon)

Note that if I focus on that project, I can switch to a context mode view looking at available actions and see the actions pop up in the proper order and context as I work them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean View Post
Here is what I mean by trust.

The purpose of having a planning section and a context section is...
you do your thinking first
then you do your doing.

Thinking is in the projects.
Doing is in the Contexts.
The challenge is that you can do actions while in the Projects mode and you can do planning while in the Context mode. When I use a view in Context mode like Due Soon or Due and Flagged, in essence I am saying "I want to think about my actions more than the minimum needed to get work done." I like the new Due and Flagged view, however the only way I use it is as a quick refresher with all contexts selected. When I want to get back to doing actual work from specific contexts, I switch the view to Available actions.

I really think that if OmniFocus failed to show me all Due and Flagged items just because one or more actions are blocked when I specifically selected a view to see them, then I would lose trust in the system. As I mentioned earlier, I do think that the view could be improved to indicate blocked actions. I would really like to see all style levels maintain their font preference to only be overridden by a color preference. That is, if I have my blocked actions set to gray color and italic style, when those actions become due soon they would display as orange color and italic style. Then in any view I would instantly know if an action was due soon and blocked.