The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Day-of-the-Week SALs Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OK, so I'm beginning to become obsessed with organizing my life. I've been using OF for about 1 year now and have been on and off, meaning sometimes I think I know what I'm doing and sometimes I don't.

A common thread that I read on MANY GTD related sites is "do it if it works for you".

Well, after MANY iterations, trials, errors, problems and mishaps, I think I might have a work flow that 'works for me'.

The setup:

First of all, I have OF at work, home, and on my iPhone. I essentially work out of my PROJECT folder, that is to say, I like the setup, icons, and structure. I have 4 major folders representing 4 main locations (i.e. office, school, home, and family [not exactly that... names are removed to protect the innocent]), and within those folders I have on average about 10 projects dispersed and running. Each project therein has my todo's. Simple, yes, not done yet.

I'm the type of person that doesn't like to commit to deadlines; yea sure, if there is a definitive deadline that I HAVE to stick to I enter it and abide (this dude abides). If there is no specific date, I procrastinate, and there lies the problem, and my reason for not fully committing.

But WAIT! maybe I've found a solution! I may have said I like the setup of the project folder (*reread... yes I did), I am also WAY more comfortable with numbers (yea... ok... go there... geek). So keeping with a structured outline, I've added 7 [foreshadowing] Single Action Lists to the TOP of my project list that look something like:

01. MONDAY
02. TUESDAY
03. WEDNESDAY
04. THURSDAY
05. FRIDAY
06. SATURDAY
07. SUNDAY

Oh yes, and an 8th:

00. ON FIRE TODAY

Within each of those SALs is a weekly repeating action:

"REVIEW ACTIONS FOR X-DAY!!" (X = TUES, WEDNES, THRUS, FRI, SATUR, SUN, & MON depending upon which day of the week)

The workflow:

So each day I have a list of todo's that I've brought over from the previous day's 'review'.

This setup simplifies my project area (not many subs of subs) and forces a daily 'look ahead' so that I can bump in actions and push them until I finally get sick of them and actually do them.

The Problem:

As you probably can already guess, I lose 'project' labeling once I put the todo into the "day-of-the-week" SAL. For example, the project 'Home : do laundry' now becomes '06. SUNDAY'. This is somewhat annoying since I foresee a loss continuity with project tasks later on down the line.

I've tried creating days-of-the-week in the context view, which maintains the project link, but there is no structure in the tree or icon change (see initial "like"... yes... I'm a visual guy).

This system is kinda 'working for me' but I wanted to hear if there were any other ideas out there.

Baring day-of-the-week SALs in each of the main folders (space hog), or a 'daughter' project (not in the system), or maybe just changing the context to reflect the projects (against the definition of context), I'm at a creative loss.

Any poetic musings would be greatly appreciated (except a flaming hiaku... that would just ruin my day)

Hmmm... well, one suggestion would be to simplify things slightly by using the built in flagging rather than an "on fire today" project. That would let you leave the actions in their 'real' project instead of moving them into one that's really just a container.

You may also be able to simplify somewhat if you use the start date field in place of the weekday-specific projects. Presumably with a context view perspective that grouped things by their start date. Unsure if it'll work for your purposes, but I'm thinking of something based on
View -> Context Mode
View -> Grouping -> Start

FWIW, I can't think of any real *functional* downside to day-specific contexts if that helps you organize your tasks meaningfully. That would seem better than moving them out of their "real" projects for organizational purposes...

Brian,
Thanks for the swift reply.

The flag option... nice! Will do.
The Context option... eh...

I just don't like the Context View, I'm disoriented in it. I prefer the icons and tree of the Project view.

The format, as it is, is easy to migrate around and drag individual actions into days-of-the-week boxes.

Do you think there is an applescript that will I could use to auto-add a comment in the notes field? Basically, I'm thinking that I could add a note that will add text like 'Parent Project:[the parent project]', and it would be great to automate it with an applescript.