The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waiting For Functionality Planned? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Does or will OmniFocus have the notion of a "waiting for" task, that is a task that cannot be completed until someone or something else outside the realm of the project completes a subsequent task. If not, what is the philosophical idea behind eliminating that. It puts a crimp in my sequential projects when I'm unable to designate a certain task as a "waiting for"...

You can do this now by assigning the task in question to a Waiting For context.

You also can add an action that specficially calls out the waiting for. E.g. I often have "WF feedback on <item>" in my Waiting For context, which subsequently blocks any other items.

I'll often assign a due date to these items so they show up at some point in the future as a reminder that I need to followup.

Like jasong, I use an Awaiting context. My pattern is to write an action name like "From Bob, TPS reports" and put it in the Awaiting context. I will set a due date sometimes, for time critical projects. On others I'll just notice reminders needed on my weekly review.

Another tip, I often set start dates on Waiting For items. This move the projects out of sight, out of mind and gives the person on whom I'm waiting a chance to respond without me nagging them. (Even if only psychically. ;-)

Curt

Great tip, Curt. Thank you.