The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New iPhone and PC solution! testers needed Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I recently got an iPhone for Christmas and have joined those of you that are desperate for someway to use OF on the go. Without this, there is almost no point in having contexts that don't involve being in front of OF.

While I'm eager to see what Omni can do with the SDK, I actually don't want to have to plug in a cable and sync several times a day (and I know Apple won't be doing wireless sync anytime soon).

The current web application solution doesn't really work for me either, since my primary machine is a macbook, and its often asleep (especially when I need my tasks on my phone).

So in looking at various online todo managers, I came upon Toodledo, which has a good iPhone interface, and a pretty good feature set. Most importantly, they have an API that let me write a script that syncs between OmniFocus and Toodledo!

Currently the way it works is by creating a perspective called Toodledo (I have all my "on the go" contexts selected). It will then sync this perspective with Toodledo in both directions.

You can complete tasks, add notes, change due dates, flag etc all from the iPhone. You can create new tasks and they land in the right project/context (if its part of the perspective) or in the inbox.

There are still a number of features I plan to add such as action group support (subtasks), syncing of more than one perspective etc.

There is potential for this to act like a .Mac for two copies of OF.

The browser interface for Toodledo will let people who use a PC at work manage OmniFocus from there.

There is also a feature of Toodledo to share projects with other Toodledo users, so there is an opportunity to do team sharing of OmniFocus data.

Most of the key features are free, and the pro account is only 14.95 a year (less than many of the other online task managers).

The developer has been very responsive in making the enhancements I needed to the API for this to happen.

I have all the basic syncing working, but I'd love some more testers before I consider it final, and to help guide what features to add.

To participate in this beta, you need to join the Google group created for this project. That group will also be the primary place to ask questions and make suggestions (no need for a monster thread on these forums).

If you are interested in trying this out, please join:

http://groups.google.com/group/oftd

You will find the current version and a readme in the files section of the group.

I look forward to your feedback.

-P

Impressive! Excellent job!

I'll try it out.

I'm hoping for an OF app that syncs data onto the phone so I'm not reliant on the internet, lack of cell phone service or lack of wifi. Happens all the time to me. Maybe someday it will be stable. But it's hard for me to imagine it being more stable than data on the phone.

In the meantime... this may be a great workaround.

Hi,
great idea! Unfortunately it do not work for me. I got the wrong dates and the script says "Die Variable „myRec“ ist nicht definiert." "The variable "myRec" is not defined.
Maybe the problem is german system and different date format?

I'd love to have an iPhone, but for now the best sync option functionality is available with Windows and a Palm PDA. Still way ahead of anything likely in the works for the Mac for some time to come.

Using Bonsai (www.natara.com) on Windows (or on the Mac with VMWare Fusion or Parallels) for GTD-type task management (including multi-contexts) sync'd to Bonsai on a Palm PDA (such as the TX which is very solid and has many apps) is simple and powerful.

Having said that, there is a good solution (IMO) for the Mac and Omni Focus... Until the iPhone's SDK has been out and "real" sync-based applications are available, I would just either take my Mac Book with me if I needed to, or print out the information I need before heading out on errands.

One nice thing about the Mac Book (and OSX) is that it goes to sleep and wakes from sleep better than Windows laptops.

Otherwise, someone can end up spending _many_ hours trying to get some way to sync between devices, sometimes a many-step process or a very convoluted process.

I'm glad I looked at this thread because I am going to revisit running Bonsai within VMWare Fusion to sync from my Mac Book to Palm TX. I like the Mac platform (and even better than that my Apple stock lol) so even if for now I am Windows-based, I can still do it on the Mac!

Looking forward to future Omni Plan improvements that would enable me to seriously consider it as my main GTD-type app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptone View Post
I recently got an iPhone for Christmas and have joined those of you that are desperate for someway to use OF on the go. Without this, there is almost no point in having contexts that don't involve being in front of OF.

While I'm eager to see what Omni can do with the SDK, I actually don't want to have to plug in a cable and sync several times a day (and I know Apple won't be doing wireless sync anytime soon).

The current web application solution doesn't really work for me either, since my primary machine is a macbook, and its often asleep (especially when I need my tasks on my phone).

So in looking at various online todo managers, I came upon Toodledo, which has a good iPhone interface, and a pretty good feature set. Most importantly, they have an API that let me write a script that syncs between OmniFocus and Toodledo!

Currently the way it works is by creating a perspective called Toodledo (I have all my "on the go" contexts selected). It will then sync this perspective with Toodledo in both directions.

You can complete tasks, add notes, change due dates, flag etc all from the iPhone. You can create new tasks and they land in the right project/context (if its part of the perspective) or in the inbox.

There are still a number of features I plan to add such as action group support (subtasks), syncing of more than one perspective etc.

There is potential for this to act like a .Mac for two copies of OF.

The browser interface for Toodledo will let people who use a PC at work manage OmniFocus from there.

There is also a feature of Toodledo to share projects with other Toodledo users, so there is an opportunity to do team sharing of OmniFocus data.

Most of the key features are free, and the pro account is only 14.95 a year (less than many of the other online task managers).

The developer has been very responsive in making the enhancements I needed to the API for this to happen.

I have all the basic syncing working, but I'd love some more testers before I consider it final, and to help guide what features to add.

To participate in this beta, you need to join the Google group created for this project. That group will also be the primary place to ask questions and make suggestions (no need for a monster thread on these forums).

If you are interested in trying this out, please join:

http://groups.google.com/group/oftd

You will find the current version and a readme in the files section of the group.

I look forward to your feedback.

-P
Hi. First I would like to thank you for coming up with this great script. For a non techie who owns an iPhone and doesn't how to set up OMF web access or the html export script, your script is indeed God sent.

Now I'm able to bring and execute OMF tasks on the iPhone when I'm away from my Mac.

The best part is like about the script is inbox syncing. I use to have to jot down Stuff in iPhone notes when I'm on the go, and retype everything in OMF again when I'm back on my Mac. Now this hassle is a thing of the past. Great!

Well, do far the script has worked well for me without any glitches. Hopefully it'll remain that way and I won't have to post any bug reports.

Once again, a very BIG thank you!

Chris

Signed up for an account to give it a try.

BZ

Wonderful! Thank you!

My zip did not contain the ReadMe file; where can that be found?

Warmly,
Joel

In general, post your questions for this script in the Google Group.

The readme is a separate download from the files section.

-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelorr View Post
Wonderful! Thank you!

My zip did not contain the ReadMe file; where can that be found?

Warmly,
Joel