The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

How to get PDF attachments to an Action note to open in different app? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have PDF file attachments inside some Actions in OmniFocus. When I tap them, they get opened in the standard Apple PDF viewer. But I have a better 3rd-party app which opens PDFs and allows me to edit them (mark them up) - I'd like the attachments to open in this app instead of the normal PDF viewer. I don't want to have to switch to the 3rd party app to open it - it's important to me that I can place comments on many, many PDFs inside of OmniFocus. So:

1) is it possible to get OF to open PDFs in this 3rd party app?
2) if not, is it possible to name the attachments some other extension (e.g., .xyz) and tell it to open all .xyz files with the 3rd-party PDF viewer?

People in the Apple forum say that when I tap a PDF in OmniFocus I should get an Open In option, which should list every app on the iPad that's capable of opening PDFs. But instead if I tap and hold on the PDF attachment, I see only the 'delete' option. What am I missing - how do I get the attachments to open in a different app?

Mike

Hmm, I thought you used to get the box with the curved arrow to the left of the Done button active with a PDF attachment, but I can't prove it...that's what you would tap to open it in another app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Hmm, I thought you used to get the box with the curved arrow to the left of the Done button active with a PDF attachment, but I can't prove it...that's what you would tap to open it in another app.
the thing to the left of the Done button is grayed out :-(

Mike

We traded some emails and apparently the missing items had indeed been linked, rather than embedded. Ended up filing some feature requests on making the UI less confusing (visually distinguish between linked and embedded files) and make attaching multiple files at once easier, as well.