The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

From OO to Tables in Word Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I use to prepare and submit action plans in table format in Word. OO shows great potential with its multicolumn outlines and I hope to use it for my projects but I may be required from time to time to submit reports in Table format in Word. Is there a mecanism, applescript or application that could help me do this?:rolleyes:

Hi,

export your OO document as a tab-delimited text file. Open that file in Word, select your text, then go to Table>Convert>Convert Text to Table. Make sure you have selected tabs as delimiting characters at the bottom of the dialogue that shows up, and World should convert your text into a table.

Thank you,
This works but…
As I'm writing this in French, the accents (umlauts I believe is the name?) are not maintained in the transfer. What can I do to maintain them:(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manticore
Thank you,
This works but…
As I'm writing this in French, the accents (umlauts I believe is the name?) are not maintained in the transfer. What can I do to maintain them:(

I just tried that and I saw the same thing. To me this clearly is a bug that needs to be reported...
As a workaround, you could export to RTF and perform a serach and replace to eliminate dots and checkboxes for instance. A bit more tedious though :-\

Corentin

Last edited by Cortig; 2006-05-25 at 05:47 AM..

Upon further testing, I realize that beside the umlauts issue, if I have subtopics, in Word it gets moved to the wrong column, so it's not pratical. I tried with RTF and I have the same problem of columns.

Quote:
Thank you,
This works but…
This is an encoding issue. Most likely MS Word isn't properly recognizing the text as being UTF-8. You may want to change your encoding preference in OmniOutliner (they're in the Text preferences) to something like Windows Latin or Mac Roman as an experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM
This is an encoding issue. Most likely MS Word isn't properly recognizing the text as being UTF-8. You may want to change your encoding preference in OmniOutliner (they're in the Text preferences) to something like Windows Latin or Mac Roman as an experiment.
I have the same issue if I open it up in TextEdit. Changing the encoding preference to Mac Roman solves the problem:)

Now, is there a way to make sure that subtopics remain in the same column after export?

Quote:
I have the same issue if I open it up in TextEdit. Changing the encoding preference to Mac Roman solves the problem:)

Now, is there a way to make sure that subtopics remain in the same column after export?
I reported the problem using the Send Feedback link in the app and James answered back pointing out something rather interesting. The exported file is properly exported as UTF-8 as the "file" command reports in the Terminal. It just so happens that TextEdit, BBEdit and Word try to auto-guess the encoding and get it wrong (assuming it is Mac OS Roman).
In Text Edit, if you use the Open command and specify you want to open in UTF-8, the file shows up properly.

Corentin

(thanks for all your help James).