The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects within Projects - Help understanding to do it the correct way Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
I'm a fairly new OF user, and I like it a lot.

However, there's one thing I don't really catch; How to create and use projects within projects.

The problem for me is, that almost everything I do is a kind of project. For example, we have just bought a house, and there's a lot to do and restore in the house.
Buying a new fridge for example, involves comparing fridges, talk to a salesman, talk to some friends, look at fridges, having the right measurements, being a low powerconsumer fridge, etc etc. Many of these things are projects in themself.

When I created this kind of situations before OF I could easily do it in a text document, someting like this:

HOUSE
Kitchen
Buy new fridge
Comparing fridges
Fridge 1
Fridge 2
Fridge 3
Talk to a salesman
Person 1
Person 2
Person 3
Talk to some friends
Friend 1
Friend 2
Look and feel at fridges
Fridge 1
Fridge 2
Fridge 3
Having the right measurements
Fridge 1
Fridge 2
Fridge 3
Being a low powerconsumer fridge
Fridge 1
Fridge 2
Fridge 3
These projects and indenting can be made in OF with the Add Child command. However, when creating a new task with the Quick Entry Shortcut the only Project I can choose is "HOUSE", I want to be able to choose the underlying Projects as well...

So, basically my questions are:
- What is the difference between Add Project and Add Child?
- How can I create a project within a project?
- Is that the right way to do it or is there a better way?
- Am I not thinking in the right way at all?

I have looked at the video, but I haven't read the manual yet...

Thanks for any advice!
/andreas