The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OF 1.7 View Bar Changes Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
From the 1.7 sneaky peek release notes:

Quote:
• OmniFocus 1.7 has a new look for the View Bar (to control your filters, collation and sorting) and for column headers.
• The View Bar's highlighting has also undergone some changes. When you change a setting (Filter, Sorting, Collation) to be different from the default state, it will turn blue. Before this wasn't consistent as we would color the text based on your active perspective. That was too confusing, so now we always color when you're different from the default state.
• The View Bar now has labels that are always visible to make it more obvious which settings are which.
I find the new View Bar highlighting very distracting. All of my perspectives have view bar settings that are different from the defaults, so now I have bright blue, "danger Will Robinson" alerts in my face all the time. I could just turn off the View Bar, and am inclined to do so given how much real estate it consumes now, but then I lose the column headings.

I'd propose two changes:

- Decouple column headings display from view bar display.
- Use a more muted highlight color

(Also submitted via Help → Send Feedback.)

Curt

I know what you mean, but I would guess that a lotta lotta people had difficulty figuring out why they can't see some of their tasks and sent in feedback about it.

as a suggestion to the "Decouple column headings display from view bar display.". How's about the following approach. let the view bar behaviour respect the toolbar behaviour. i mean if you control click the toolbar "show and hide button" in the upper right corner of the window,you are able to switch between: show big icons with text, show big icons without text and so on... how about that the viewbar respects the settings of the toolbar by either showing the info text or not according to what the general behaviour of the toolbar is? not a consistent idea i am completely satisfied with, but at least a suggestion for further discussion.

and about the highlight colour i totally agree. looks distracting somehow :/

For the most part, I am liking the new view bar even though it does take up more real estate.

What I would like to see, more than changing the actual color, is to only show a color change if the view settings are different from the settings saved for any given perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
What I would like to see, more than changing the actual color, is to only show a color change if the view settings are different from the settings saved for any given perspective.
That's how it worked in 1.6.1. Apparently that confused people. I can see how it might have.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
That's how it worked in 1.6.1. Apparently that confused people. I can see how it might have.
Do you think the new implementation will bring clarity to the same people that were confused before? I just see more confused people-the original group will still be confused why there is blue text in the view bar, and some of the people that were more comfortable with OmniFocus will be confused as to why their saved perspectives now indicate that a view has been changed, when it has not changed from its saved state.

I like the new view bar color and design. I was not comfortable with the previous look. It seemed like it should be hidden when not in use. This one looks like it was meant to be left visible.

Tthe old view bar looked fine, but I think the new one is certainly more intuitive and easier for new users to pick up. It looks more polished too.

But, because it's taller and uses up more screen space, I tend to keep it hidden more than I did with the old one.

-Dennis