The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Sync kills WiFi connection [A: WiFi + Bluetooth causing radio interference] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Occasionally I got kicked out too, but the biggest problem was the 'hesitance' sync behaviour. If one waits too long it kicks off the wifi. When working properly the sync process shouldn't take more than a second or two. This is what is working for me:

1) start sync process.
2) every time there is a hesitation during the sync-process go to wifi-settings and let it scan for networks.
3) until networks are listed go back to omnifocus (must run in background)
4) repeat switching until sync has been completed

Sound weird, but every-time I go back to OF it progresses in the sync process.

iphone 4, 4.1, OF 1.7.3
mac, osx 10.5.8, OF 1.7.5
sync with bonjour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Is it possible that this is what's going on, and putting the phone into airplane mode overrides that behavior by turning off the cellular radio?
Note sure if this is causing the issue I am seeing. The iPhone seems to hold the wifi connection for over a minute without any taps on the screen.

In my case the app will optimise the db, the sync icon will spin for a while and I then get the updating db progress bar. Typically the sync fails towards the end of this process and wifi is dropped.

I'm seeing the same issue here.

I'm syncing to my own hosted WebDAV server, so it's likely not related to bonjour.

I'm running a Linksys WRT54GL running Tomato firmware, it's a rock solid wireless link for every other purpose. None of the other machines in my home ever drop a wifi link spontaneously.

Desktop version of OmniFocus syncs fine, iPhone version pauses for a minute or so and then my WiFi connection is dropped and the sync errors out. If I attempt to sync over 3G without first connecting to WiFi it works ok.

If, as others have suggested in this thread, I enable airplane mode, then enable wifi, then connect to my WiFi - the sync works perfectly in less than 5 seconds.

It seems like something to do with the Omnifocus iPhone app failing to detect the WiFi signal properly?

Sad that such a great app is hindered by this issue.

I've had this issue with other apps, keymote, delicious library syncing. I would loose wifi connectivity when trying to sync or such.

I haven't seen any issue with omnifocus unless i had a problem with another app first.

I did the airplane mode thing and my problems went away.

I did more testing. Instead of turning airplane mode off, i turned off bluetooth and all my problems went away.

Ill keep yall updated.

Edit: I might have not sen problems with omni focus since i used a custom Webdav server.

The two apps i constantly have issues would have to be using bonjour now that i think of it.

I'm trying to sync my new OmniFocus Mac with my iPad. And so far, apart from grey hair, I haven't got anything.

1. I registered with the Omni Sync Server, but when trying to sync from the Mac, it refuses my username/password combination (even though I can log on the website fine)

2. I then decided to try Bonjour sync. Tried to sync the iPad, but the sync seems to kill the iPad's WiFi connection (how's that even possible? It's not a problem of signal, that's for sure, since my iPad works perfectly fine in all other regards on my home network)

So, what, I'm left with nothing now? I'm certainly not going to fork out for MobileMe...

You might not have entered the right details for the sync setup. An easy way to make sure you have it correct is to sign into the web page, then click on the Send to OmniFocus button on the Account page. This will open OmniFocus and configure it properly to sync with the Omni Sync Server, and all you have to do is enter your username and password on the first sync. Also be sure that you are entering the OSS username, not your email address.

Those are exactly the steps I've taken first time around, and yet, it refuses to log me on...
I did try again multiple times and finally found the problem with the Mac <-> OmniSync problem: the username is case sensitive! (yeah, I know, don't ask me why OmniGroup have decided to not follow the standard way of doing things...)

Worse now, I've trying to connect my iPad to OmniSync, and I find the exact same problem as when doing it over Bonjour: OmniFocus for iPad KILLS the wireless connection!!!! How is that possible? How can an application costing 10 times the price of a standard iPad app be so bad? Evernote, DropBox, Klexi, all my other apps that have to sync with web based servers do it easily and reliably, but this one, no, it just KILLS THE WIRELESS!

Someone explain that one to me please...
I did try multiple wireless networks, and it does the same thing on all of them, so it's clearly not related to the WiFi hardware, it's the iPad itself (iOS 4.2.1 FWIW)...

This is VERY poor!

Contact the support ninjas and they'll get you straightened out, or you can ask for a refund. 800-315-OMNI or +1-206-523-4152 or email omnifocus@omnigroup.com.

Wabiloo, sorry for the trouble this is causing. If you contact us, we'll get you up and running.

I'm having the exact same problem - though with iPhone as opposed to iPad - in that any attempt to sync (I've yet to have a successful sync) literally kills my iPhone's connection to my wireless network. After that I have to manually reconnect my iPhone to my network...how an attempted sync wipes out a device's wireless network connection is beyond me, but it happens every time, without fail.

This is incredibly disappointing given that A) I desperately need a task manager/project management lite tool that will sync between my phone and mac and B) I was all but certain that between the reviews and especially the price (20 bucks for the iPhone app/80 for the Mac app) that I would not have problems doing so.