The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OF integration with OmniOutliner. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi, I was told by someone at Omni that it was possible to 'link' content from Omni Outliner to Omni Focus.

I have not been able to do this... can anyone guide me on how to do this?

Thanks a lot! Martin.

I haven't seen much of the ability yet -- it's not listed in the "special apps" area. Not to mention when I tried to clip I got a launch services dialog listing about 5,000 apps on my system (many of them printer drives that ended in .app) asking where OmniOutliner was (it was running!).

It would be great t have the possibility to reference content from OF that resides in OO by simply having a link to it. That is what made me decide to switch to OO from Notebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinchohs View Post
It would be great t have the possibility to reference content from OF that resides in OO by simply having a link to it. That is what made me decide to switch to OO from Notebook.

You can have links to your Focus tasks/projects/folders/contexts. Simply drag them to Outliner, or use the "Copy as Link" command to see the actual URL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas View Post
You can have links to your Focus tasks/projects/folders/contexts. Simply drag them to Outliner, or use the "Copy as Link" command to see the actual URL.
That's backwards, though :-)

What you mentioned also works with RTF documents, but that's not really integration.

I tried it, and I can paste an OF task into OO as a link. Yet, when I go back to it using the link, it opens a general view in OF that does not even contain the task i supposedly linked to. Is it working well for you guys?

Additionally, I think I would prefer it the other way around. To be able to reference some information in OO as a link within OF.

Thanks.

Both "drag and drop" into omnioutliner and "copy as link" took me straight back into the expected place in OF.

Steve

What I have been able to figure out is that if the task is in the inbox, the link does not take me to the right place. Otherwise it does, and even then, I am not able to open the project where the task is in. Who knows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinchohs View Post
What I have been able to figure out is that if the task is in the inbox, the link does not take me to the right place. Otherwise it does, and even then, I am not able to open the project where the task is in. Who knows...
There has been some work recently on how we handle these URLs, if you're not getting the expected task/project/folder/context selected you might need the most recent version of Focus.

(also, a completed action probably won't show up, since the filters are being set to the default, this will be fixed soon)

For linking from OF to OmniOutliner, the best you can do is link to an OmniOutliner document. OO does not support deep linking to individual outline items.

To link to an OO document, just drag its icon onto an action in OmniFocus. The link will be added to the action's note.

Curt