The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Location and wifi Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

My first post, so a quick hello! I'm hoping omnifocus will help me keep my busy life ticking more smoothly ( mum of two young children, IT project manager/resource manager and photography, both paid and as a hobby).

I am about to buy omnifocus for the iPad, and am considering upgrading my quite old iPod classic to an iPod touch.

I'm not quite sure from what I've read whether the location-aware functionality would work if on wifi (I have a mifi for my iPad and the touch would use it too, or be tethered to my android phone), could this be clarified please?

Really looking forward to getting to grips with GTD, have been watching a few of the excellent videos supporting omnifocus and GTD, and it hopefully looks to be the one for me.

Thanks for your patience for my rather obvious question!

I haven't used OmniFocus in your exact situation, but I have used it in a similar one. The location functionality works with WiFi but requires Internet connectivity to work. So, your WiFi-only iPad or iPod touch can determine its location if it is in a place where it can find one or more WiFi networks and can use one to connect to the servers to translate the network IDs into a position estimate. That's all you need to be able to bring up the map showing nearby contexts and the actions that can be done. It isn't enough to get you the nifty location-based alerts upon entering or leaving a context, however.

The one thing I'm a bit hesitant about is how well the WiFi location scheme works when you use a MiFi rig. I'm not aware of any mechanism to continuously update the location server's notion of where your network is (could be one I don't know about, of course!) and I don't know if the algorithm used to determine your location from the list of visible network IDs is robust in the face of having one network (your MiFi) that shows up everywhere you look. You should be able to figure this out by using the Maps application on your iPad with your MiFi in a handful of locations where you don't otherwise have Internet connectivity. Please report back with the experimental results :-)