The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

does not appear to contain valid OmniPlan data Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
A number of my documents are giving me this message when I try to open them "do.omniplan does not appear to contain valid OmniPlan data."

Anyway to recover them?
Thanks

If you haven't already, please send email to omniplan@omnigroup.com, preferably attaching one or more of the troubled files if possible. That way one of our Support Ninjas can help you figure out what's going on.

Yes - I've had this problem too - not sure why this has happened.

For reference, this indicates that OmniPlan is unable to open or parse the contents.xml that should be inside the document (.omniplan file) wrapper. If you were to just create an empty directory calls foo.omniplan, you could make this happen. There are a lot of ways that you can create the situation that we can't do much about... (check the .omniplan directory out of svn, but not the contents.xml; make a shallow copy of .omniplan directory; hand edit the .xml file yourself...) but I wouldn't expect a user who'd do anything I can think of to be surprised when OmniPlan throws a tantrum. So assuming this file is exactly as it was when OmniPlan itself wrote it to your disk, we'd really love your help figuring out what happened!

-Tom

Tom,

Thanks for your reply - I've just sent one of the errant files across to the address suggested in the thread earlier. For info I store all my Omniplan files on apple's iDisk (i.e. a remote disk, although I keep a sync'd copy locally on an iMac at home and a MacBook at work.

Rob

Wow- quick reply. Turns out that this is a known issue - saving Omniplan files directly to iDisk will result in this file 'emptying'. Saving files to a local drive instead should resolve the matter.

Hi

I have the same problem and I am saving files on a local drive. Any ideas what is causing this problem and how to solve it? Regards, Francisco

Hi: Hi:

I found the problem, at least on my MacBook. I was using for the first time the software Expression Media 2, from Microsoft. I imported all my files yesterday to Expression Media 2, but it DID not recognize the file extension from OMNI software, so it corrupted all the files (omnifocus, omniplan, etc.). I recuperated the file from my backup, uninstalled all the files from Expression Media 2, and it worked now. regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by fposada View Post
Hi: Hi:

I found the problem, at least on my MacBook. I was using for the first time the software Expression Media 2, from Microsoft. I imported all my files yesterday to Expression Media 2, but it DID not recognize the file extension from OMNI software, so it corrupted all the files (omnifocus, omniplan, etc.). I recuperated the file from my backup, uninstalled all the files from Expression Media 2, and it worked now. regards
I think the problem has to do with Microsoft Expression Media 2 not being able to handle file wrappers correctly, but I'm not 100% sure.

OmniPlan documents are stored in a type of folder called a file wrapper. File wrappers appear to be normal files in the Finder. Apple Mail will treat file wrappers like normal files and transparently zip them when you attach them to an email, but there are some applications that don't know how to handle file wrappers correctly like Microsoft Entourage. In these cases, the file wrapper should be zipped before being accessed by these applications. You can zip a file by right-clicking on it and selecting "Compress" from the context menu.