The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

A Calender Based Outliner Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have loved the idea of OO ever since i switched to Mac a year or two ago.

But i was thinking, As a student allot of my life revolves around calendar deadlines.

Could it be possible to set up an OO-type program that allows you to schedule a project, say Studying for a final, or completing an office presentation, around a calendar.

Thanks,

PS. this is my first post. its good that mac has such open communities.

Last edited by carcrazy; 2006-04-17 at 05:04 PM..

Go to http://www.omnigroup.com/application...tliner/extras/ and download the Useful Scripts disk image. On it is a script to export your outlines to iCal. Would that work for what you want to do?

that looks good from the description, but first, i cant figure out how to use the scripts, i downloaded them now what????

But, what I was really looking for was a to-do list that you could create due dates for. for example i could create sub-projects that have their own due dates as part of a total, larger project.

I actually switched to OOL from Circus Ponies Notebook because of the free set of scripts by Ethan Schoonmaker [sp?] call "Kinkless GTD". It is a great task manager with iCal integration which uses the whole David Allen/Getting Things Done methodology. You can download it for free from www.kinkless.com.

The one downside is that you have to updgrade to OOL pro. You could certainly demo the pro version, and kinkless, to see if it is worth your while.

If a combination of Kinkless/OmniOutliner Pro is not for you, on 10.4 you install the scripts in the:

~/Library/Scripts/Applications/OmniOutliner/ folder (or ~/Library/Scripts/Applications/OmniOutliner Pro/ folder if you have Pro)

You may need to create the folder yourself - be sure you name it correctly.

Once installed in that folder, go to /Applications/Applescript and launch the Applescript Utility. Select the "Show Script Menu in menu bar" options as follows:

This puts a script icon in your menubar. You will want it near the right hand end so that it is always in view in your apps if you plan to use it!

When you are working in OmniOutliner, when you click the icon, you will be presented with the scripts available:

\

HTH.

Edit: If you are on 10.3, I believe you need to install the script(s) in ~/Library/Application Support/OmniOutliner/Scripts/

Last edited by JKT; 2006-04-18 at 11:28 AM..

Thanks.

I tryed downloading the kGTD files but i cant for the life of me figure out how to actualy instal them.

I know i may sound computer inept, but could you guys help with this im lost.

Edit: I have already looked at the video, but i cant get the scripts to show up.

Last edited by carcrazy; 2006-04-18 at 01:45 PM..

The latest version of the downloader has an installer package (.pkg) which you should run and it will install the necessary files in the right place for you. However, you must have the latest OmniOutliner Pro 3.6 beta installed (beta 2).

To add the Kinkless buttons to the toolbar if they aren't already present, you need to have a document window (sensibly, this will be your GTD one) open and select View>Add/Remove Document Specific Toolbar to add the kinkless buttons specifically to that one document (you probably don't want to add them to all document toolbars as they won't be of any use).

Does that help?

that was as far as i got and the icons were not part of the list of choices like they are in the video.

Check that the Kinkless scripts were installed properly by looking in the ~/Library/Scripts/Applications/OmniOutliner/ folder (or ~/Library/Scripts/Applications/OmniOutliner Pro/ folder if you have Pro). There should be a Kinkless folder in there containing four files.

When you Customise the toolbar, you should see the following four buttons from Kinkless to install in it:

(N.B. my toolbar customisation is showing as a long list instead of a nice layout of buttons owing to all the scripts that I have added).

Ya those are the ones i cant find. I have run the installer and the files are still not under the script folder.

PS. could it have something to do with the fact that i am running OSX 10.3.9 and not 10.4.5. I think its .5 anyways???