The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

No alerts or alarms!!!! WHAT??? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This is amazing! Here are some of the things OmniFocus for iPhone does that NO OTHER iPHONE Task Management App does:

Create a task called "call John Smith ph# (555)555-5555.
Start time: [[say twenty minutes from now]] Context: PHONE".

For fun, create another task called: "go to http://www.aol.com"

You get what you pay for, right ? Watch...

1. NO ALARM...NO POPUP ALERT...NOTHING alerts you that
you are now missing the appointment. If for nothing else, I believe a person buys a mobile task app so he or she does NOT have to remember the task!
set the due date, get notified of it.

Only OmniFocus doesn't use alerts, and claims to be the best.
If I wanted to write my tasks down, and NOT be alerted of their
coming due, I might have used, say, PAPER!

2. Try calling John Smith Anyway....YOU CAN'T TAP HIS NUMBER TO MAKE
THE CALL! Another Unique situation. Stare at John's number, memorize
it, close omnifocus, open the phone, type his number in, call him.

3. How about the URL ? NO, You can not click it and go to that site...

4. Notice that this app is constantly doing something..
that little wheel on the bottom spins around every few minutes to let
you know it's busy as a beaver!
It sure as hell isn't busy alerting you about the appointments
you've putting in there.
Ohhh, nowww I see...it's busy filling up my MobileMe iDisk!
There we go...ok cool.

In summary:

No alerts (visible or audible).
No clickable phone numbers even when the context is "PHONE".
No clickable URL's even if the context is "WEB".

I hope somebody above middle-management is reading this post, whether you delete the post or not, you'll need to know this right now:

Because omnifocus for iPhone is the single most expensive iPhone application on the entire AppStore...
Because there was no "Lite version" enabling unsuspecting buyers to experience this utter lack of necessary functionality, and
Because it is lacking in every single feature that a task management application is expected to have, by ANYONE...

I am absolutely disgusted with this purchase, and I can't imagine a scenario where I would be out and about, driving or anywhere, staring at this thing, manually FINDING my scheduled appointments and tasks.

Good morning mate, perhaps you need to read the user guide and this forum a little clearer, if you had invested even half the time that it took you to write that rant you would know how time-based alarms (not push-based) work in OmniFocus (very well to make things simple)

I have never tried using phone or web addresses in my notes but if its true its quite an oversight and something that should be fixed.

Also, I think, calendar based alarms are a great idea (I would prefer them over push) - however they are little harder to "get". (Even though the technical difficulties related to setting up push and calendar are apple's decision - I believe user ends up blaming the app !!)

While I will ignore the OP's negative tone - I do hope the product team realizes that the product is now pretty damn complex and it is very hard for a newbie to set or explore what it can do and how.

As a point example - I think the sync choices are unnecessarily complex and were driven by engineers more than users.

There should really be only two options to sync:
  • omnifocus run server (automatically set up, free and tied to your serial number of purchase)
  • a "hidden" webdav option

More about my rant is here: http://tarun.me/2009/09/03/omnifocus-syning-goof/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarun101 View Post
I have never tried using phone or web addresses in my notes but if its true its quite an oversight and something that should be fixed.
It's not true. A phone number or URL in the action name won't work, but a phone number or URL in the notes field will.
Quote:
Also, I think, calendar based alarms are a great idea (I would prefer them over push) - however they are little harder to "get".
What do you mean by that? Harder to understand the concept and mechanism?
Quote:
As a point example - I think the sync choices are unnecessarily complex and were driven by engineers more than users.
I don't know if I agree with this; I think it's a business decision by Omni not to provide a server that they maintain, and setting up sync on the iPhone is comparable in difficulty to the other syncing iPhone apps that I've come across.

Quote:
More about my rant is here: http://tarun.me/2009/09/03/omnifocus-syning-goof/
I like how you say "Omnifocus currently offers 4 different ways to sync data from iphone to mac" but then list one that doesn't apply to the iphone to mac case and even point that out yourself :) I would also disagree that setting up Bonjour is appreciably more difficult than setting up MobileMe.

But let's explore your idea a bit more: how do you propose that the Mac know what the URL on the Omni-provided server is to be? What authentication means will be provided so that someone can't just snarf random data from that server? How will your desktop know what those authentication credentials are, without introducing comparable complexity to what is there now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
It's not true. A phone number or URL in the action name won't work, but a phone number or URL in the notes field will.
This is a workaround but acceptable. Not a big deal but it will be great if phone/URL in action name will work too. Its probably not that hard and I do not see why they should not.

Quote:
setting up sync on the iPhone is comparable in difficulty to the other syncing iPhone apps that I've come across.
I suggest that we try setting up evernote sync (or facebook "sync"). I do not know of any other iphone app that want you to install webdav server as one possible option.

Quote:
I like how you say "Omnifocus currently offers 4 different ways to sync data from iphone to mac" but then list one that doesn't apply to the iphone to mac case and even point that out yourself :)
Point taken. Technically you are right. However, I will still say that it is listed right there with other options and a user considering which option to use iPhone sync with has to review and understand it. hence, it adds to the complexity of the sync subsystem.

Quote:
But let's explore your idea a bit more: how do you propose that the Mac know what the URL on the Omni-provided server is to be? What authentication means will be provided so that someone can't just snarf random data from that server? How will your desktop know what those authentication credentials are, without introducing comparable complexity to what is there now?
There is this nifty "technology" called "username and password" - I hear lots of folks are using it on the internets !!

----
Tarun
http://tarun.me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarun101 View Post
I suggest that we try setting up evernote sync (or facebook "sync"). I do not know of any other iphone app that want you to install webdav server as one possible option.
Wants you to? No, offers you the choice to do so, and even provides it, in the Bonjour case.

Quote:

Point taken. Technically you are right. However, I will still say that it is listed right there with other options and a user considering which option to use iPhone sync with has to review and understand it. hence, it adds to the complexity of the sync subsystem.
Aren't we talking about the iPhone/iPod? It's not listed there. No need to understand it if it isn't an option.

Quote:
There is this nifty "technology" called "username and password" - I hear lots of folks are using it on the internets !!
I thought this was all going to be automatically set up? So now you have to have a mechanism to get the username and password from this system that set it all up automatically, and configure it into the desktop client. That doesn't sound very automatic to me, it sounds like the same transactions you go through setting up the current system.

Quote:
This is a workaround but acceptable. Not a big deal but it will be great if phone/URL in action name will work too. Its probably not that hard and I do not see why they should not.
I should know better than to even post in threads like this one, but I will offer one thought on the ideal that URLs and phone numbers in an item's title should be a live link. Can anyone give one example of an app that does this? There may be one, but I've never seen it. Calendar doesn't do it, Evernote doesn't, ShoveBox doesn't, nor does any of the other apps that I have tried. If you do find an app that behaves this way, enter nothing but a URL or a phone number as the title, try to open the item in the app to view it by clicking on its title, and tell us how that works for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
I should know better than to even post in threads like this one, but I will offer one thought on the ideal that URLs and phone numbers in an item's title should be a live link. Can anyone give one example of an app that does this? There may be one, but I've never seen it. Calendar doesn't do it, Evernote doesn't, ShoveBox doesn't, nor does any of the other apps that I have tried. If you do find an app that behaves this way, enter nothing but a URL or a phone number as the title, try to open the item in the app to view it by clicking on its title, and tell us how that works for you.
Todo sort of does it. You can create a type of task -- phone call, visit website, etc. -- then it will ask you to put in the url or the phone number, or find the contact info in your iphone. Then after you save the task you press the little star next to the task description in the title and it pops up a dial option or a visit the url option.

Quote:
So now you have to have a mechanism to get the username and password from this system that set it all up automatically, and configure it into the desktop client. That doesn't sound very automatic to me, it sounds like the same transactions you go through setting up the current system.
usernames and password are used by mobileme and webdav systems. so, the complexity will be similar to what you are describing but the advantage is that they will be available to everybody and work everywhere (unlike bonjour). mobileme requires yearly subscription and webdav is in geekland so I will argue that running a un/pw based system by omnifocus is the best and most user-friendly option.

In fact, I will again stress that if you have this omnifocus-server option you do not need any other options (except for some super-privacy-conscious folks) and the current 4-5 choices (why is "nothing" a choice?) are too complex and user unfriendly.

As far as the question of if its the business decision of omni to run such a server - it, of course, is a business decision (just like every feature and this forum).

However, we must remember that Omnifocus is about 75% to 150% as expensive as the next best alternative (desktop as well as iphone version) so I imagine the cost to run a few webdav servers (for something that is not bandwidth, computation or storage expensive) is not a likely factor (think about it, evernote gives you 40MB of NEW storage every month FOR FREE).

Tarun
http://tarun.me