The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Due soon not included in dock/menu bar badge? [A: appear once overdue items cleared] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
My "Due Soon" items are not included in the badge on my dock or in my menu bar. The number I see on these badges represents the number of overdue items only.

A couple of items to note-
-I still get the yellow badges for due soon items next to the projects in my sidebar

- The badge on my iPhone icon correctly indicates both due soon and overdue items

- I have the preference correctly set in OmniFocus for Mac defining Due Soon as 2 days and displaying the badges in the dock, sidebar and menu bar.

Any suggestions?

The Mac app reports these numbers differently than the iPhone/iPad apps. On the Mac, you get the count of the highest level warnings. If you have 1 overdue item, 5 due soon, and 3 actions in your Inbox, you'll see a red 1 in the dock. If you finish that overdue item, the display will change to an orange 5. Finish them, you'll get a gray 3. If you didn't finish 2 of the due soon items before they became overdue, the display changes to a red 2.

With the iOS apps, you can display a sum of one or more of due, due soon, and flagged items. It will always be displayed in a red circle, regardless of the warning type. It is not possible to set the display to exactly match that of the Mac app, in general. Note also that an item may be double-counted if it is flagged and due or due soon and you are including both categories in the display.

I think both approaches are reasonable. I tend to find the newer implementation more useful (iPhone/iPad) because I've always got some overdue items, effectively masking off everything else from view on the Mac. I use due soon + flagged on the iPhone/iPad as it gives me a quick read on stuff I need to get done soon, either of my choosing or someone else's. Stuff that is already overdue I know about from my reviews, and it doesn't change quite as rapidly. If I didn't have that backlog, then the Mac implementation would give me a quick heads-up that something had gone overdue, and if I really had my near-term obligations covered, I would get a reminder that there are unprocessed tasks in the Inbox. As I shift frequently between the two platforms, I get the best of both, and am not bothered by small inconsistencies where one reports a slightly higher or lower count — if there's a number there, there's more work to be done!

Thanks for the great response.