The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sync Problem w/ iPad, iPhone okay Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I use MobileMe to sync between MAC, iPhone and iPad. MAC and iPhone are syncing fine and iPad used to sync okay. Now I get the message that Device and Sync Database are out of whack. When I choose the Sync Database, OF crashes or times out, going back to iPad home screen without syncing. After several tries, I deleted the database on the iPad and tried to start from scratch. App seems to get hung on the, "Fetching remote database" step, then app crashes and returns to home screen.

Any ideas for a fix?

I'm very sorry for the trouble here! This generally means that your OmniFocus database has grown to a size where the iPad runs out of RAM during the sync. When we're grabbing the entire database from the server, it uses more memory than a 'regular' sync, where we're just grabbing the recent changes.

If you try the steps listed on the first page of this thread, they'll help you use the Mac to reduce the size of your OmniFocus database as much as possible. That'll make it more manageable for your iPad.

We're also happy to help if you contact our Support Ninjas via email or phone (800.315.6664).

Also received this response via e-mail which worked for me. I'm all back up and running on my iPad. Thanks OF support

-------------

Hi Pete,

Thanks for writing in! While we do try to keep on top of the forums, emailing us directly is the best way to get your questions answered quickly. It's possible that the database is growing larger, making it more difficult for the iPad to sync due to memory limitations on the device. Here are some things you should try to compact your database:

On the Mac:
- Use the Archive function (File>Move Old Data to Archive) to clear out old completed or Dropped actions and projects

- Make sure you don't have a lot of embedded attachments in your database (documnets, pictures, etc.) Please note that clipped e-mails embed attachments into OmniFocus as well. You may have to go through your actions and remove large attachments from the database. OmniFocus 1.8 on the Mac now has an Attachment Viewer (available in the Windows menu), where you can view and delete embedded attachments.

- Open the Preferences menu, and click on the Sync tab. Click on the Clients button, and unregister all clients in that list (don't worry, they'll automatically re-register themselves on the next sync)

Now, run a sync on the Mac- this should compact the database on your sync server. Then, head over to your iPad and sync. You should see an improvement in performance.

Let me know if OmniFocus is still crashing. Thanks!

Sincerely,

Jameson Brown
Support Ninja
Omni Group