The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

always losing things in OF! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm reasonably confident that I'm of at least average intelligence, but my adequate gray matter is not preventing me from constantly losing things in OF. I can't be the only one with this problem. Am I the only one with this problem?

Something is wrong with the UI for views and searching, because I am routinely smacking myself in the forehead after five-minute wild goose chases for some action that I was SURE I had entered into OF.

This morning, I just spent a full half hour rummaging through backups because I simply could not find a project that I thought had truly disappeared from the database. In fact, it was simply obscured by a byzantine combination of view settings.

I think it is absolutely necessary to have some way of searching not just the current view, but the whole database. There are many, many circumstances where I really want to find something in the database NO MATTER WHAT the current view is. Not only is this just important functionality, but it seems to be an important defense against OF's tendency to create the appearance of "lost" data.

I second that.
Of course, everything is completly logical, but often it’s just a bit too complicated to find what you are looking for.

Agreed. Adding this to the 1.5 wish list thread.

Agreed, this stil prevents OmniFocus being a "trusted system".

We've got a lot of things planned to address this. That's all I can/will say right now... Your 1.0 investment will stand you in good stead going forward. :)

Ethan, I love it when you hop on these boards!

This happens to me on occasion as well. One thing I got into the habit of doing, is to lay down a Perspectives > All Items to see *everything* before I search.

Right now the search field only searches the visible rows, but we're planning to add a "Search All" option which will search everything whether or not it's currently visible. (We'll probably make "Search All" the new default setting, with "Search Visible" the alternative.)

Oh, that sounds nice. I like the ability to "Search All" but I'd also like to keep the option of searching only what's visible (i.e. only the current sidebar selection).

This new approach would seem to satisfy both needs.

I have found that "losing stuff" has been a great motivator and route to my actually learning how to use OF. It's forced me to learn the ins-and-outs of the view bar settings and the statuses.