The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iDisk/MobileMe/.Mac Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MobileMe syncing doesn't seem to make any progress Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
In OF sync preferences, I clicked on MobileMe and then Sync Now. Result: no sync, the sync preferences panel is greyed out and the sync button of the main OF window spins endlessly. No error messages, no nothing. What to do?

Last edited by Ken Case; 2009-07-01 at 05:16 AM.. Reason: Edited the title to be more specific about the problem

Very sorry for the inconvenience this is causing! We're going to need more info to know for sure what's going on - more on that below.

Off the top of my head, my guess is that your OmniFocus database may be very large and things are progressing, but it's just not giving much visible feedback as to what's happening.

If you open up <your home folder>/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus, you'll see a file named "OmniFocus" or "OmniFocus.ofocus". If you do a Get Info on it from the File menu in the Finder, how large is the database?

If the file isn't particularly large - say, more than a couple of megabytes - then something else may be going on. Contact our support ninjas and we can collect more info that will help us determine exactly what's going on here.

I have been adding files (embedding) to projects in OmniFocus. So far I only have 4 files embedded and my database is 4.9MB. What is the recommended cap if using MobileMe, or any other service?

Thanks.

So, about 1.2 MB per file on average. How many more files do you have to add? :)

Those files are going to be synced over to your iPhone, where they probably won't be of any use, but will most likely contribute to slow syncing and application startup. If you've only got the desktop and the iPhone, and assuming my contention about performance is correct, why not just put links to those files in your database? I occasionally have a database of about that same size (5-5.5 MB), but when I do it is because one of my devices hasn't synced recently, I've done some reorganization, and the transaction history can't be compressed. I don't know for sure whether the resulting slow performance is due to the size or the large number of files in the database or both, but it definitely performs much worse at that size than at half that size where my database normally is. Syncing between desktop copies of OmniFocus only, I would say 5 or 6 MB with a moderate number of actions is fine.

Chrisaceto, your database isn't particularly large, so I wouldn't expect to see an exceptionally long sync like you're describing on that basis.

My next recommendation would be to contact the support ninjas. The ninjas will be happy to help you generate a sync log that describes each step in the process.

That will give us information on exactly where (and hopefully why) things are getting hung up, so we can help you fix it.