The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Project count Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there a way to get a total project count from OmniFocus?

The only projects I'm concerened with are the ones that show up in the left navigation, not sub-projects under one of those.

Right now I'm counting by hand to limit myself to a set of open projects that I might actualy be able to achive in a week. :P

A simple AppleScript could accomplish this. You might want to go ask in the Extras forum if anyone has written such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohammersmith View Post
Is there a way to get a total project count from OmniFocus?
Here's a script I quickly threw together for my own use. You're welcome to use/modify as you need.

Count Projects.zip

-Dennis

PS - Depending on the size of your database, it may take a few seconds to gather all the data. There may be a more efficient way to do it, but this is all I had time for at the moment.

UPDATE June 16, 2009: A few updates have since been made to this script and can be found at: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...2523#post52523

Last edited by Toadling; 2009-06-16 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: Added link to updated script

Wow-- that is scary:

Active Folders: 11
Dropped Folders: 1
Total Folders: 12

Active Projects: 79
On Hold Projects: 253
Completed Projects: 104
Dropped Projects: 5
Total Projects: 441

Active Single-Action Lists: 4
On Hold Single-Action Lists: 8
Completed Single-Action Lists: 11
Dropped Single-Action Lists: 0
Total Single-Action Lists: 23

Thanks so much for this script. It works incredibly well, and has sparked my interest to learn Applescript!

Active Folders: 13
Dropped Folders: 0
Total Folders: 13

Active Projects: 82
On Hold Projects: 6
Completed Projects: 63
Dropped Projects: 16
Total Projects: 167

Active Single-Action Lists: 11
On Hold Single-Action Lists: 0
Completed Single-Action Lists: 1
Dropped Single-Action Lists: 3
Total Single-Action Lists: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz2010 View Post
Thanks so much for this script. It works incredibly well, and has sparked my interest to learn Applescript!
Glad you found it useful, Chaz2010. I'm not sure if you noticed, but there is a more recent version of this script at:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...2523#post52523

I updated my original post below as well.

As frustrating as AppleScript can be at times, it really does open up a whole new world on using your apps and tying them together. It's an extremely useful skill to have if you use your Mac regularly.

But with any luck, these sort of statistics will be built-in to a future version of OmniFocus and my humble script will be able to retire to a condo by the beach. :-)

-Dennis