The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Why save dialog after looking at source code? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
When I check the source code of a webpage with OW, I usually use the integrated editor. To make the code easier to read, the next click is on the Reformat button. (It would be nice if this was a default.)

But when I want to close this window, a dialog pops up to ask me wether I want to save the changes. This is annoying and costs another mouse click or a Command-D to get rid of. Can this be avoided?

Regards,
Hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhm View Post
When I check the source code of a webpage with OW, I usually use the integrated editor. To make the code easier to read, the next click is on the Reformat button. (It would be nice if this was a default.)
You can set it as the default in the Source View preference pane.

Quote:
But when I want to close this window, a dialog pops up to ask me wether I want to save the changes. This is annoying and costs another mouse click or a Command-D to get rid of. Can this be avoided?

Regards,
Hans
It might be nice if this were handled like an editor state change in some of our other apps. I'll file a request for this!

Thanks,
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb View Post
You can set it as the default in the Source View preference pane.
...But it seems the behavior is not quite the same. If you have this enabled, and click "Reformat" after opening the source view, it is formatted differently (more thoroughly-hierarchical) than the default reformatting.

Quote:
It might be nice if this were handled like an editor state change in some of our other apps. I'll file a request for this!
That's nice. And since I'm poking around in this area...
In Safari it is possible to have a window with a webpage and another one with the source code of that page. Reloading the website in the first window refreshes also the source code in the second one. Can this be done with OmniWeb?

Thanks,
Hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhm View Post
That's nice. And since I'm poking around in this area...
In Safari it is possible to have a window with a webpage and another one with the source code of that page. Reloading the website in the first window refreshes also the source code in the second one. Can this be done with OmniWeb?

Thanks,
Hans
Since OmniWeb is an editor it doesn't work this way. You can for instance make a change in the source and use "Redisplay" to update your browser window though.

Quote:
Since OmniWeb is an editor it doesn't work this way. You can for instance make a change in the source and use "Redisplay" to update your browser window though.
And you can pry that feature from my cold, dead hands!

I love being able to do that. It is a real blessing when I need to fix some minor problem on a page that is dynamically generated. I don't have to keep updating the file(s), uploading, and reloading. I can usually sort out the problem by just editing the final output in OW and click "redisplay", then I only need to update the actual file once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
And you can pry that feature from my cold, dead hands!

I love being able to do that. It is a real blessing when I need to fix some minor problem on a page that is dynamically generated. I don't have to keep updating the file(s), uploading, and reloading. I can usually sort out the problem by just editing the final output in OW and click "redisplay", then I only need to update the actual file once.
Yep, very good feature. Helps me debug dynamic sites.