The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OO Doc w/MSW Link Will Not Save Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
A year long daily 'ToDo' work file in OO v3.9.3 suddenly would not Save today. This is the FIRST time ever I've come across this in OO.

The file saved on all prior days and it may have been the first save attempted today. I made a new file and copied in months work and when I got back to October the new file would not save.

I tracked the error down to a link to a MSWord doc from an outside vendor. Once that file link was deleted the new file would save. When I opened up that MSWord file in MSOffice, it gave a LittleSnitch warning that some web access to or from the doc was being tried & I denied the connection.

Could it be the doc has a macro that is trying to dial out info?

Along with this Slashdot has 2 stories this morning on MS's DRM servers in their MSO software being down.

Anyone else see anything bizarre like this going on?

I'm not paranoid, but am disliking MS products even MORE than usual.

It might well be this was an error that occurred in a single OO file for some unknown reason. A backup copy of the same file inserted into an OO document did NOT produce the same failure to save message in OO.

The original source disk file did not reproduce the error.

Original Error from the Console Log:

12/14/09 6:30:03 AM OmniOutliner Professional[242] -[OSStyledTextStorage(Private) _newInitFromXML:attachments:attachmentContext:disc ardStyles:]: Unable to read attachment at cursor path /outline/root/item/children/item/children/item/children/item/values/text/p/run/lit/cell

I am beginning to think it possible that a flipped bit somewhere caused an error in the OO file, but that is just a layman's guess.

Hmm I feel like we had someone else report a similar issue with an attachment but since I can't find any bug report on it, I'm guessing they couldn't reproduce it. Does the other copy of the Word file reproduce this issue?

My original source file on a different hard disk did not have the problem, nor did a later copy of the damaged file, prior to the error.

I can send the file and the attachment if you want to examine it.

With it not being reproducible, the file likely won't be of any use. Thanks though.