The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Push Sharing via Omni's Servers Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've just been thinking about the possibilities that might open up in the future by using Omni's Sync Servers. OK, currently it means the ability to ditch MobileMe (hurrah!) and I'd be in favour of Omni adding a web interface.

It also occurred to me that as added value, Omni might consider offering a push share facility to subscribers.

I envisage this allowing me to send actions, projects, contexts, etc. from within OmniFocus to other subscribers, with the result being pushed to them.

As always, I'd be interested to hear other Members opinions on this.

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-07-28 at 05:40 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheQ View Post
I've just been thinking about the possibilities that might open up in the future by using Omni's Sync Servers. OK, currently it means the ability to ditch MobileMe (hurrah!) and I'd be in favour of Omni adding a web interface.

It also occurred to me that as added value, Omni might consider offering a push share facility to subscribers.

I envisage this allowing me to send actions, projects, contexts, etc. from within OmniFocus to other subscribers, with the result being pushed to them.

As always, I'd be interested to hear other Members opinions on this.
I am more for native Sharing working on the desktop before having web sharing.

I want to be able to manage my data and not have it stored in the cloud. OG just needs to get sharing working on the desktop first. If they offer a MobileMe alternative for storing peoples data that's fine since it's just as simple as setting up a WebDAV on your own.

All that being said, if they migrate the db to something like SQLite making this sharing work on the desktop or web should be quite transparent. You would either select a local server or a remote one during your setup process.

Last edited by policarpo; 2010-07-28 at 07:46 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheQ View Post
Omni might consider offering a push share facility to subscribers.
This is one of the things that gets easier to support when you have a central server (like the sync server) that you can bounce messages off of.

As always, folks that would like to see something like this should email the support ninjas and let them know that.

Standard disclaimers apply: this isn't a guarantee that we will do this in a particular timeframe (or ever!). This is just me saying "it's possible, and you should let us know if you're interested." :-)