The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Script to locate tasks with a certain date in a note Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This is probably is easy script, but I can't seem to find one that works. I need a script to search all tasks in which the note contains a certain date - i.e. find task where note contains today - the "Where in OF" script isn't pulling them up.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

What is the exact search query you are using in Where in OF? I just tried making a few test actions with "Today" or "1/19/11" in the notes, and had no trouble finding them with "tasks where note contains <txt>" and entering "today" or "1/19/11" when prompted for the value of <txt>...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
What is the exact search query you are using in Where in OF? I just tried making a few test actions with "Today" or "1/19/11" in the notes, and had no trouble finding them with "tasks where note contains <txt>" and entering "today" or "1/19/11" when prompted for the value of <txt>...
Hi - thanks for the reply. I have tried several searches is Where OF. I tried the built in search "tasks where note contains <txt>" and the I listed "today" as the text. But it doesn't pick it up. I have also tried writing my own search in the Where OF Library using "tasks where note contains <dte>" and that doesn't come up either.
Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Whpalmer4 has already given you the answer:
tasks where note contains <txt>
(I can see that you might intuitively think that a <dte> variable was the answer, but what you are looking for is a piece of text within a note. Values supplied for <dte> can only match date fields like those in the due date, start date, date completed columns).

When you are prompted for a value for <txt>, enter your date in the exact format in which it occurs in the text of your notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daltongreen View Post
Hi - thanks for the reply. I have tried several searches is Where OF. I tried the built in search "tasks where note contains <txt>" and the I listed "today" as the text. But it doesn't pick it up. I have also tried writing my own search in the Where OF Library using "tasks where note contains <dte>" and that doesn't come up either.
Thanks for any advice you can provide.
Okay, are you expecting it to match "1/20/11" (or any other date representation) against "today"? If you have a note with the string "today" in it, a search for "tasks where note contains <txt>" with "today" as the <txt> will find it. It won't find a note with the string "1/20/11", however, unless that is the <txt> you supply.

It might be worth reinstalling Where in OF to make sure you've got the most recent revision; I won't rule out the possibility that Rob might have had a bug in an older revision which would cause your problem. If that still doesn't work, perhaps you should post a screenshot showing an example of an action you think should be matched, but isn't.

Last edited by whpalmer4; 2012-07-17 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: Update link