The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

A Long-Winded Right-Brainer's Journey Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Overall search is my main issue with OF also : )
Somehow things allows you to find anything anywhere in the database , BUT it gets bogged down very quickly with large amounts of projects etc
and you can't schedule items in projects .another major flaw in that app.
.. things almost needs to be used with another program to supplement it .
OF does not : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
My biggest one is probably performance in switching between perspectives and doing searches across all items in big databases. Apparently it doesn't bother anyone else, at least not enough to complain about it here.
The former bothers the heck out of me (my database is about 4x the size of yours!) but I don't complain to anyone except myself because I know it's largely my own fault. I run OmniWeb and Safari with several hundred tabs on an out-dated Macbook, too -- what can I say, I'm just a walking software stress test :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Did you know that almost all of the controls from the Inspector are already available in the main window, if you show additional columns using the View->Columns menu? The only controls that aren't available are the repeat controls, and that's simply because they don't easily fit in a small amount of space.
That's true in the context view, but not quite true in the project view. The option to control whether checking off the last item completes the group or project is not available in the main window. I'll take a liberal view of "repeat controls" and say that the review stuff fits in there, though perhaps this is a leak of an upcoming change :-)

I do use the inspector quite a bit to inspect things, such as the date something was added/changed, when the next repeat will be scheduled, and so on. I don't however use it so much that I would want all of that data always showing unless either I get a new, larger screen, or my eyes regain some of their lost accommodation. Using the inspector allows me to only show the columns that I want all the time, yet still have quick access to the rest of the information. The complicated inspectors in OmniPlan and to a lesser degree OmniOutliner drive me a bit crazy, as they seem to always be looking at the wrong information, but the simpler OmniFocus inspector works well for me, though I'll echo the comment made elsewhere that it'd be great to have a keyboard shortcut to jump into the inspector without using mouse or trackpad.

To Original Poster:

Beautiful story, and I feel like I'm in the same boat with you. My question is, now that you're back, enthused, and all your tasks are laid out the way you like them--what you're process for DOING?

My experience with OF (and Things, just like you), is that I can spend hours (days!) getting everything just so and then--nothing. I don't have a mechanism for dealing with those tasks.

Do you choose a project? Do you choose a folder with an "area"-like purpose?

I've been trying Mark Forster's AutoFocus method and it really does get me doing tasks, but I confess to missing the organized feeling of OF.

Would love to hear what works for you!

I enjoyed the OP's story too - thanks for sharing.

I'm one of those people who don't like the OF interface, but not enough to abandon the app. I especially don't like the pop-up inspectors, and dislike that the only way to "select" a task is to super-accurately click on the little button on the left; I'd rather the task, after hitting the Return key, be in some kind of 'inert' state that I could actually click on and re-arrange. Others around here articulate these things so much better than I do though!

I kind of wish OF had an interface similar to Papers: http://mekentosj.com/papers/
I look at that and like that the amount of screen real estate I assign to the program doesn't change; it's contained within a single window (unlike popping open the inspector). I envision the tabs across the top being perspectives, the window on the right being the perspective view, and it changing based on what you're doing, being resizable, and even completely retracted.

Oh well, just thought I'd pass on my thoughts on the interface. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswitt View Post
I especially don't like the pop-up inspectors, and dislike that the only way to "select" a task is to super-accurately click on the little button on the left; I'd rather the task, after hitting the Return key, be in some kind of 'inert' state that I could actually click on and re-arrange.
You can have OF work exactly as you request if you instead press the Esc key after clicking in the name field. Also, you don't have to click on the selection handle, as the sensitive area extends from midway between selection handle to the checkbox, and all the way to the very left end of the surrounding oval -- it's actually a bigger target than the checkbox!

You are correct, as always. Grasping the area to the left of the task is twice the size of the checkbox. I rescind my earlier criticism. ;-)

I do not, however, like the esc key scenario, as it feels like the opposite action that you take when working with other programs on the Mac. I would still prefer the return key to select the item instead of create a new one automatically.

At this point though, it's kind of pointless; I'm certainly not losing sleep or not using OF because of the return key/esc action!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswitt View Post
I do not, however, like the esc key scenario, as it feels like the opposite action that you take when working with other programs on the Mac. I would still prefer the return key to select the item instead of create a new one automatically.
The enter key will also "close" the edit without creating a new item.

Which programs select an item when you press the return key?

I suppose it is possible that you could convince the Omni folks that they want to put in a preference to allow return to do as you request, though it may take some effort, as you are asking for the program to work differently than the standard fashion for text entry in the Omni applications. Also, do you really want to have to do extra typing or clicking to make each additional new row when you are entering multiple rows? In any case, to make sure Omni hears your feature request, use Help->Send Feedback...

Quote:
Originally Posted by InAccuFacts View Post
Would love to hear what works for you!
Hi,

Well, I am using folders to basically act as "Areas" I suppose. For example, I have a folder for things I want or need to buy. I have a folder for "writing" projects. I have one for "web" projects, one for "travel," "photography," "fun" and one for my place in Los Angeles and one for my parents' house in San Diego where I often help out with things. There are more, about 17 total.

Projects get organized into each of these folders. In "Buy," I'll have separate projects for software, hardware, food, kitchen, etc., things I need to purchase. In "Writing," I'll have a separate project for each, and so on, but I'm sure this was obvious.

I used to have a "Miscellany" folder, but that became too much of a lazy way out. The Inbox is basically that, and now, I force every item to be organized into a folder. As of now, my 17 folders cover all the bases, but there could be others added in the future.

I do also have an "Organize" folder in which I have created projects that specifically involve organization. For example, my photos were a mess and not organized, so that became a task. I spent an hour a day on it, and finally got it done in a week or so.

I then have corresponding folders on my computer for each of these, and subfolders for each project. In those, I keep anything that's relevant. For example, any research for a writing project, web links for things I need to buy, etc.

One major mistake I made was trying to use OmniFocus as an information manager, which it is not. The "quick entry" window was so awesome that I'd stick everything in there. Now, I use a journaling app (Circus Ponies Notebook) for that, along with DEVONthink Pro for major projects, and I'm still trying to find the perfect system for tagging files as they come in. It will likely be a combination of Default Folder X, Hazel, Path Finder, and something like Together and/ or Leap. This is going to be a system where things get organized as they come in, and not all dumped into a folder for organization later.

To distill my usage of OmniFocus down even more, I do stick pretty closely to David Allen's GTD philosophy. I absolutely believe that when your mind is clear, you can focus and you can motivate to "do".

Try to focus on a single project, and really listen to your internal dialogue when you find yourself fighting doing anything about it. Are the steps not clear? Do you get frustrated by that? How can you make it better? This goes against some of Allen's GTD, but you need to find your own way.

So, OmniFocus is a tool for planning and acting. That's it. When I can see plainly the steps to get something to completion, it's very easy for me to then jump on it.

Finally, I'm not a person who follows a set schedule. If today I feel like messing around with web design, then cool, that's what I'll do. If I feel like getting out of the house, then I'll go do some errands. What OmniFocus allows me to do is easily transition into any of these modes. And this is probably why I have trouble with the notion of "Contexts." I never say, "I'm going to the hardware store. What do I need there?" Instead, I'll say, "I really feel like fixing up these vintage cameras!" And then, I'll do what needs to be done.

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Also, you don't have to click on the selection handle, as the sensitive area extends from midway between selection handle to the checkbox, and all the way to the very left end of the surrounding oval -- it's actually a bigger target than the checkbox!
And, you can actually move rows by clicking and dragging from anywhere on the row (not just the handle area). It works whether the row is selected or not. Just position your mouse cursor anywhere over the row and click down, hold the mouse button, and drag.

-Dennis