The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

copy & paste to different rows possible Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I would like to copy a list from my browser and paste it to OO but when I do so the list ends up in one row (as intended). Is there a possiblity to post the entries of the list to seperate rows in OO ord do I have to c&P each entry manually?

Thx,
Jan

Try pasting out of text editing mode (push the esc key to toggle between text editing and row editing). When you paste in row editing mode, each line break will start a new row.

Hi,

thank you for the answer. Thatīs what I was searching for - and itīs so simple :-) .

Jan

Indeed, thanks! But i searched OO Help Viewer for many minutes and came up empty on this, which led me to register for this Forum. I guess I'd suggest that the Help Viewer documentation be improved, but realize how vague that it. ESC! Cool.

I'm with you, gherrick!

Many thanks for a simple solution to a recurring issue, and another humble request for a rewrite of the manual/help docs to include all these tidbits.

An interim solution could be an outline itself of FAT's (frequently asked tips) that we could download.

As we all know, ease of use promotes use, and increased use creates dependency, and dependency increases sales...

Is there a place in the menus that indicates whether we are in row or text edit mode?

The built-in help does include this information, in perhaps the most obvious place imaginable: the help for the Paste command :-)

Type "paste" into the search field in the help, click on the link for the Edit menu. Under Paste, it reads:

Quote:
Insert a copy of the clipboard's current contents into the outline. It is inserted at the text cursor or, if a row is selected, after the selected row. Note that when you are in text-editing mode, the lines get pasted into the row. When you are outside of text-editing mode, the lines get pasted as individual rows.
To see if you are in text-editing mode or row-editing mode, just look at the row. If only a single text field is surrounded by the oval, you're editing text. If the entire row is surrounded by the oval (or multiple rows), you're editing rows. When pasting rows, I always click on the row handle where I want the new rows inserted, which simultaneously ensures that I'm in row-editing mode.

So, the indication is not in the menus, but in the outline.

If just the text is selected by the oval, then you're in TEXT mode. If the selection includes the handle/bullet/number, etc., and it's shaded, that's ROW mode.

I'm still voting for at least a "tips" document that could be easily culled from the forum and calls, as an interim step for new docs for all users...