The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slow New Document creation Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
About a year ago I started a topic here concerning the fact that OmniGraffle was taking 28 seconds to launch. I was advised to strip some preference files out of my Library. In the midst of all this, Omnigraffle started working OK, so I dropped the subject. Shortly after, the problem returned and has darkened my use of Omnigraffle ever since.

So I decided to make a thorough effort to find out what was wrong. In the interim, I had installed an SSD drive for increased speed. But OmniGraffle was still taking 28 seconds to launch.

So I stripped out the folder "The OmniGroup" from my library. To be sure, I also deleted all these files:

Library > Caches > com.omnigroup.OmniGraffle
Library > Preferences > com.omnigroup.OmniGraffle.plist
Library > Preferences > com.omnigroup.OmniGraffle.plist.lockfile
Library > Saved Application State > com.omnigroup.OmniGraffle.savedState
Main Library > Application Support > OmniGroup

Then I restarted the Mac and launched OmniGraffle. No change!
But I *did* learn something interesting. In Preferences, I unchecked
Startup: Create a new document if nothing else is open.

When I launched OmniGraffle, it came up in a flash. BUT when I used Cmd-N to create a new document, it took 25 seconds to reach the dialog box. So that's the problem: creating a new document consumes 25 seconds. This sounds to me like a heap thrashing problem; is there some user-adjustable number in OmniGraffle that specifies the amount of RAM set aside for the user? Perhaps that got screwed up.

Anyway, I now have a workaround: I keep a new document up at all times. Unfortunately, I still have to wait 25 seconds if I want to create a new document.

BTW, I'm using OmniGraffle 5.4.4, but this problem goes way back.

I'd really appreciate it if you fellows could figure out what's wrong here.

Hey Chris! Have you submitted a sample of the process to our support team yet to see whats happening behind the scenes when it chugs away for ~30 sec? If not, please follow the steps provided here:

<http://www.omnigroup.com/support/sample-osx>

...and email the results to omnigraffle@omnigroup.com. Hopefully there will be something useful in there!

Thanks, Steve. I have collected the sample and mailed it as per instructions. Good luck figuring it out!