The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Searching for Projects with a Context Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi, everyone.

Can OmniFocus search for contexts that are assigned to a completed project?

I have completed projects that are assigned a context. These projects live in a folder called Current. The actions within these completed projects do not have contexts.

When I use the Search feature in OmniFocus for Mac, I select the Current folder, and I search for the name of the context and none of the completed projects appear. I have the Availability Filter set to Completed.

Any ideas? Thanks for your time.

Adam

Two ways:
Go to Project mode via View->Planning Mode. Set the project selector (atop the sidebar) to show Completed projects. Select all of the projects. Focus on those projects by using View->Focus on <selected projects>. Now go to Context mode via View->Context Mode. Select grouping by context. Now go to the context of choice and see the projects there. You can open a given project by selecting the row, then right-clicking and choosing Focus in New Window from the popup menu.

Another way is to install RobTrew's nifty Swiss Army knife of searching, Where in OF. Directions for doing so can be found here. A search that would do what you ask:

Code:
projects where ([Completed]) and (name of its context is <txt>)
(you'll be prompted for the name of the context).

Last edited by whpalmer4; 2012-07-17 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: Update link

Thanks for the reply. I realize why I can't find them, and I'm not sure if this is a bug or not.

I learned in another thread that if you create a project, add actions, then assign a context to the project afterwards, it won't find the completed projects.

If you create a project, assign a context, then add actions, it will then discover the completed project.

Have you experienced this as well?

Can you give me a reference to this thread?

You can't find them with search because search doesn't search the context field, it only searches the action name field and the notes field.

Thanks for clarifying how the search bar works. I'm going to start making notes for who is assigned to the projects instead of assigning the project to a context representing the person's name.

As for the thread, they were talking about the iPad, but I get the same results on the Mac.

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...ojects+context

What that thread is discussing is whether or not contexts get inherited retroactively (they don't). Nothing to do with searching...

I apologize for the tangent. After you gave me this first example, I was wondering why I couldn't see any of the completed projects after clicking context on the final step. Then I referenced that thread with your suggestion on creating the context first before creating actions.

I don't want to confuse the readers of this thread since it's about searching. Thank you for explaining that you can't search the contexts.

I made a mistake in my last post. I'm able to see the completed actions because I forgot when I assign a context to a project and create actions, it assigns that context to the actions. So, forgot my previous post.

Your first tip lead me into a new problem, and it won't show the completed projects after clicking the desired context on the final step.

- I select Projects Mode, then Project Filter Completed.
- I highlight four projects in the Project Filter field.
- I click Focus.
- I select Contexts Mode, then Grouping Context & Availability Filter Completed
- Finally, I click the context, but I do not see any of the projects that were completed and associated with that context. Am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Two ways:
Go to Project mode via View->Planning Mode. Set the project selector (atop the sidebar) to show Completed projects. Select all of the projects. Focus on those projects by using View->Focus on <selected projects>. Now go to Context mode via View->Context Mode. Select grouping by context. Now go to the context of choice and see the projects there. You can open a given project by selecting the row, then right-clicking and choosing Focus in New Window from the popup menu.

In your preferences, on the bottom of the Data section, do you have "In Context Mode: [] Show Projects and Action Groups" checked or unchecked? If it is checked, they should appear. If not, they won't.

Yes!! I love you!! Thanks!! Everything is working now. It was unchecked. I just checked it, and I see the projects I was looking for. :)

Thanks for all of your help today. :)