The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The OmniFocus Pre-Sale has begun! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
just a quick question. i made my pre-order. but never got any email confirmation. is this normal? am i to wait until the product is delivered in january?

If you didn't receive mail from the store with your license, please check your spam filters. If that didn't turn up anything, please contact sales@omnigroup.com to have them check what happened.

I originally moaned a considerable amount about the cost of the full version of OmniFocus, but was blessed today with a call from Santa who told me to go ahead and pick up a copy. Having picked up the application with a pre-sale + educational discount, I have to say I feel almost guilty. I would say OmniFocus is definitely worth $50.00 to me, but I still would caution the beautiful developers over at OmniGroup against the $80.00 price tag. I just don't see it, but hell, I'm not the one developing the application, so that's your call.

Anyway, I feel a lot better knowing all of my lists will be secure in OmniFocus, and I can't wait to see 1.0 next month.

Cheers,
Devin

I've come down on Omni for their pricing before, but I'll have to add my voice to the mix. As much as I have loved using OF in the past months, when I saw $80 my heart sank and I started considering what I would have to do to migrate out. Fortunately, I then saw the pre-sale at the price I *would* have spent, and bought it. So I'm in, but there is no way I would have spent $80, even knowing full well how powerful the program is and how it has helped me out in productivity.

As for the argument of benefit to dollars. I don't think that way. Perhaps it is because I grew up in a miserly family, but I always cut cost corners where I can, and use ingenuity to fill in the gaps. Keeps me more creative anyway, that way.

Eighty bucks is way too much, even given the favourable exchange rate against sterling <smug grin>. It's perhaps not an entirely fair comparison, but it's what Apple charge for iLife or iWork and more than half the price of Leopard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaebot View Post
Just in case you missed the blog, the announce list, the message of the day or the sudden concentration of excitement coming from a little building in Seattle and/or the Greater Seattle area, a pre-sale on OmniFocus has begun!

Ethan has created a new video and there's also a quick reference chart for those who are interested.
is video ii coming out soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconino View Post
Eighty bucks is way too much, even given the favourable exchange rate against sterling <smug grin>. It's perhaps not an entirely fair comparison, but it's what Apple charge for iLife or iWork and more than half the price of Leopard.
But OmniGroup doesn't sell Macs.
Just a wild guess, but I'm not sure Apple makes money with Leopard, but they catch up with selling Macs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutin View Post
But OmniGroup doesn't sell Macs.
Just a wild guess, but I'm not sure Apple makes money with Leopard, but they catch up with selling Macs.
<shrug> I still think it's too much for a glorified to-do list. I really like OmniFocus and am happy to pay the pre-release price, but the list price is too much, IMHO.

I think OmniFocus is worth $79, or certainly something around that price point. I'm literally using OmniFocus everyday as an organizational tool. With the exception of Mail.app, iCal, and Safari, it is probably one of the more frequently used applications I have.

It's difficult to value these things. Look at similar productivity tools. I know the iWork suite is $79, but Apple has an agenda they are pushing, and they are keeping the price artificially low (and you have to pay full price for each upgrade). Adobe PhotoShop Elements is $99.99. BBedit is $125. I think it was reasonable for OmniGroup to price OmniFocus in the $50-$80 range, and it is hard to blame them for wanting to try out the higher end of that price range first (I suppose the they could charge less if the initial sales are not what they expect ... remember the iPhone?).

Having said that, I like that they are offering some pretty nice discounts during the beta test phase.

Last edited by Joel McIntosh; 2007-12-08 at 10:22 PM..

To the Omni folks: Don't you just love all this criticism about your price? They have no idea what your R&D costs are or the margins you are working with. But because it "seems" too high to them they object. Hmm... Well, here's a novel idea to those of you going on ad nauseam about the price: You don't like the way OF is priced? DON'T BUY IT!

Last edited by keone; 2007-12-10 at 05:37 PM..