The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Anyone tried the FireSprite visualizer for OmniFocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I just downloaded FireSprite from www.KranK.us (SpiralOcean's sig). It's a visualizer widget that gives feedback based on tasks in OmniFocus.

Very cool concept! Looking forward to playing around with it. I'm wondering if anyone else has given it a try?

I've got it "detached" from the dashboard (at least while I'm not worried about processor cycles), as in this hint: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...50422172929402

I'm glad you are enjoying the widget. It helps keep me motivated.

Another way to enable the dashboard developer (allows you to run widgets on the desktop) mode is to use TinkerTool.
http://www.bresink.de/osx/TinkerTool.html

It allows a user to unlock other features of the OS that aren't available through the GUI.

I'm actually mulling over starting a thread asking about OF for people with Attention Deficit Disorder. OmniFocus has been a *huge* help. It requires commitment, and a gradual understanding of the whole point of the OF/GTD dyad, but once there, OF seems like it was designed specifically for ADD.

I have a feeling that your visualizer – ever-present, rather than in the dashboard – will help! I wonder if a pref to set it to simpler display would make sense for an always-on usage. (Lower frames per second, etc., not that I know what I'm talking about.)

A trick I've been using is to set a chess clock (on my iPhone), with one "side" being On Track, and the other Distracted. So as I start to get into the habit of hitting the other side when I get distracted (which is surprisingly doable), I can see "who" wins, with the goal of having the On Track clock run out first. At 10 minutes each, On Track usually wins. That's 50/50 though, so hopefully I can get the ratio down to 10 minutes versus five, etc. But the effect is that I see how the last ten-minute increment went. Right now, I'm getting my ass kicked.

I'm getting my OF up to date, at the moment so I can't get too far just yet. There's going to be a little bonfire on my screen for now. Haven' seen any other state1 Hopefully, it'll be visually rewarding!

But yeah... I think the concept has a ton of potential.

Interesting concept with the chess clock. I like it. Although for me, the distraction seems to happen without me knowing it. ADD? Possibly, or maybe it's a sign of the times.
http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2...ntionlost.html

The KranK widget was developed to help keep me on task. It does this by interrupting me to ask if I am still working on the task that I said I was working on.

The widget is a little buggy. Some of the tasks it doesn't like. Usually, quitting it from the dashboard and reloading it will solve the problem.

One motivation for the firesprite widget was to create an abstraction of things I am doing. Why is it, people can play games with sims or role playing and sit in front of a computer to tell an avatar to do mundane things, but cannot get motivated to do the mundane things in the real world? I think it has to do with abstraction. This is where FireSprite comes in. Trying to create an abstraction of all the things done in OmniFocus. A game, based on the tasks in OmniFocus. Something visual that a user can affect by doing real world things.