The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus a hopeless muddle? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Not to mention that the amount of beautiful things in OF heavily outweighs the amount of things I would do differently. :-)

Also not to mention... the number of things I never thought of that are beautiful. Like the red & orange numbers!

Hi coconino, hi everybody,

out of interest, could you point out to me what the “constantly shifting orientation” would be? I’ve only used OF since the Beta went public, but I haven’t encountered any changed paradigms or radical changes of direction [1]. Was OF a lot different in the early, closed Betas?

Cheers,
-Sascha

[1] Okay, the Inspectors changed quite radically, but that change hasn’t been finished yet so I’m waiting for the final outcome. In short, it doesn’t really bother me enough to call OF a “hopeless muddle”. -.rb

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconino View Post
A) I know perfectly well when the release will be

B) don't patronise me

C) if you had bothered to read my post you will have realised that I'm not talking about bugs.
... this kind of response says it all ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nggalai View Post
Hi coconino, hi everybody,

out of interest, could you point out to me what the “constantly shifting orientation” would be?
I think he's exaggerating. There's been a lot of tinkering, but the basic ideas have stayed the same for as long as I've been testing, which is 4 months now.

Victor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean View Post
I have had some minor frustrations with OF... and I do mean minor.

Small things that I would like to see it interacting to the way I 'think' it 'should' act.

Putting aside those minor annoyances... The way the beta has rolled out should be put in textbooks.

I never once lost any data (that I am aware of)

And I have enjoyed being able to get in on the changes as they happen.

I'm hooked on OF. It is a beautifully designed & programmed application and worth every penny.

Thank you Omni!
I work in the software industry (3D Computer Graphics) and from my experience in rolling out beta programs I believe Omni has developed a best practice that will hopefully be adopted by more companies in the future. I too never lost any data, and the daily builds (for the most part) were quickly downloaded and installed. Finally I believe Omni listens to its beta users by the sheer number of improvements that have been implemented through suggestions from the userbase. Way to go!

I notice the original person hasn't been back to check on their issues. Perhaps they were a ringer for the 67293 other GTD programs out their or perhaps we were too patronizing. ..and I didn't even get to ask them if they kick their dog if it barks at the postman....dang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihnat View Post
I notice the original person hasn't been back to check on their issues. Perhaps they were a ringer for the 67293 other GTD programs out their or perhaps we were too patronizing. ..and I didn't even get to ask them if they kick their dog if it barks at the postman....dang!
The original poster, coconino, has been a member of this forum for over a year, and has posted dozens of times. A quick look at coconino's profile will give you a link to those dozens of posts.

As much as I like OmniFocus, it is a muddled application in a few ways:

* columns constantly shift around when you jump between views

* the projects list is unwieldy once you get to more than a couple (because you've been living in it for six months, not six weeks, say).

* searching for stuff is difficult because it's dependent on what's selected

* it feels like an outliner, which, I know, it started life as; the pedigree is still clear in some ways (especially compared to other GTD apps which started life as GTD apps)

There's more I could complain about, but none of it is a showstopper; for a 1.0 beta, it's great. If the original poster had given some details, I'm sure we'd never be piling on, but let's be fair: OF continues to need polish, which I have no doubt it will receive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
* the projects list is unwieldy once you get to more than a couple (because you've been living in it for six months, not six weeks, say).

I'd be interested to know precisely what bothers you here. My gripe is this: I'm looking at a task; the project is listed, but not the hierarchy of folders that it is in. If I think that two projects shoudl be merged, it's near impossible to find where they are in the folder hierarchy you create.

Victor.

We have the option of showing a flat list of projects w/o folder hierarchy so that you can sort of group projects by some relevant criteria. If you want to find a folder for a project you can group by folder or ... bah. I see we forgot to add the 'Reveal in Sidebar' menu option (or at least I can't find it). <bug://bugs/43983> (Reveal in Sidebar menu item)