The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Column Resizing Behavior is Non-Standard Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty Crunch View Post
What I hate about the standard HIG Apple way of doing things is not only that you need to do two steps to adjust a column (adjust the column and then the window), but you can't get the window perfectly adjusted. You always seem to have to make it a few pixels too wide to get the horizontal scroll bar to disappear. Being a neatness freak, I hate that sliver of unwanted space there!
You must be referring to Tiger as this is no longer the case in Leopard (or at least it doesn't have to be). As ptone mentioned earlier in this thread, Apple Mail's implementation (at least in Leopard) is EXACTLY how column resizing should work. It's pretty much perfect.

Quote:
Your average users like the current behavior, I think.
Well, that's a gross generalization. I can't believe you have any kind of evidence to back up that claim other than gut feeling. And my gut feeling tells me that the "average user" would probably prefer the standard behavior, if for no other reason than that's the way nearly all other apps behave.

Quote:
I think this forum has a large percentage of interface geeks in it who pride themselves at noticing this stuff and exhibiting their superiority by complaining about it -- the sort who spaz out at the semitransparent Leopard menu bar.
Surely, you are among that group as well? FWIW, I don't have any issues with Leopard's transparent menu bar, although I may be guilty of the other accusations. ;-)

Last edited by Toadling; 2008-01-23 at 08:41 AM..

I also dislike the current behavior. I thought it was a bug at first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
You must be referring to Tiger as this is no longer the case in Leopard (or at least it doesn't have to be). As ptone mentioned earlier in this thread, Apple Mail's implementation (at least in Leopard) is EXACTLY how column resizing should work. It's pretty much perfect.
Nailed. I switched from Mail to Google Apps Gmail shortly after buying a new iMac with Leopard because I was traveling and I had switched my personal and business domains there anyway. I ended up never switching back, but just now I opened Mail.app, and the columns are handled much more nicely than before.

So I'm agnostic at this point.

I'm another one in the really don't like it camp I'm afraid.

I size my windows to suit my preferred workspace and I don't want the application to start changing size or position unless I specificaly change it myself.

The way mail handles columns is fine for me thanks.

If you do not like the current approach (and I count myself among you), please use the "Help - send feedback" menu item in OmniFocus to let them know.

This thread should probably be locked at this point, its not supposed to be a poll.

-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptone View Post
This thread should probably be locked at this point, its not supposed to be a poll.
The man speaks truth.

One last thought related to the horizontal scroll bars and windows - with OS X window behavior, my understanding is that they implement extra, empty columns so that the window doesn't change size when you change the column width. (Check out Finder, iTunes, etc.) Part of the reason we'd rather not is because OmniFocus is about eliminating distraction and extra columns would be distracting!

(That said, your feedback is noted.) :-)