The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Confused about Keep Sorted Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
"Keep Sorted" is not really part of a style, right? It seems to be only on the drop-down Reorganize menu. I guess you have to access it from there and only there?

What I can't figure out, is that it seems if you turn on Keep Sorted, it turns it on for every single level in the outline. So if you had previously sorted certain levels manually, or even certain areas, and you suddenly turn on Keep Sorted by mistake, it blows all your manual sorting out of the water immediately for all levels. Is this true?

I think I accidentally did this on several large outlines, so I'm looking at the potential for having lost the manual sort of 100s of procedures I wrote up, which are necessary NOT supposed to be in alphabetical order. I thought by selecting Level 1 and choosing Keep Sorted, it was only going to affect that level. Aaaarrgh.

Last edited by santra; 2008-12-22 at 05:02 PM..

Same thing happened to me. Fortunately, I caught it immediately and was able to Undo out of it. But if it's too late for Undo, OS X Time Machine should be able to get you back to the version before the mis-sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogbar View Post
Same thing happened to me. Fortunately, I caught it immediately and was able to Undo out of it. But if it's too late for Undo, OS X Time Machine should be able to get you back to the version before the mis-sort.
Oh, I wish I could do this! But it's my software outline, where I keep track of procedures for the 50 different software apps I use on my Mac; and unfortunately, it gets updated every day.

Might be worth going back, though, and doing a side-by-side comparison. Then, any procedure that I didn't really change (much), I could just strip out the alpha-sorted branch on my latest version and copy back in the non-sorted version from two weeks ago.

Thanks!

Wow, this is going to take hours to rectify. What can I do to never ensure this happens again? I recall that this was my own error: accidentally clicking on "Keep Sorted," not realizing that it would affect not only other branches, but the entire outline!!! OK, I screwed up--so I have to make sure I don't do so again.

But how do I guard against the program doing this? Can I reliably assume that the feature is turned OFF by default on newly created outlines? (So long as I have it turned off in my default template.)

OO gurus, hope you know the answer to this one! Thanks.

Keep sorted is not a style attribute as you were guessing in your original post. Sorting is not set on the default template OO ships with. It would be possible to modify the template to have sorting on however incase you accidently did that.

What you could do is not allow automatic sorting at all. Under the Row:Advanced inspector there is a checkbox for 'Sort Children' which is on by default. If you uncheck that for a row, all its children will never sort when you use the sort options. You can still manually drag them around though. You can also set this on the whole document style if you don't want anything to sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekM View Post
What you could do is ... Under the Row:Advanced inspector there is a checkbox for 'Sort Children' which is on by default. If you uncheck that for a row, all its children will never sort when you use the sort options. You can also set this on the whole document style if you don't want anything to sort.
I was under the impression that turning that setting off was tantamount to ensuring that the user would be "blocked" from ever being able to sort a row or level--either via Keep Sorted, or Sort Selected Rows.

Isn't it true that if you leave that setting on, it DOESN'T auto-turn-on Keep Sorted or Sort Selected Rows when a row/level starts "having children"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by santra View Post
Isn't it true that if you leave that setting on, it DOESN'T auto-turn-on Keep Sorted or Sort Selected Rows when a row/level starts "having children"?
I think there's still some confusion here about the sort options. Keep Sorted or Sort Selected never turn on automatically. It must be done by you at some point, either set on a column and saved to a template, or set on a column at some point working on the file. Adding child rows will never effect your sort settings or lack there of.