The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Due or Flagged View not Updating Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I leave a perspective open all the time that has all items that are due today or flagged. Sometimes, especially after putting the machine to sleep, the view does not update overnight to include the new items that are now "due today". If I look at another perspective, they are dated correctly, but they are not the color of due today items either.

It seems as if they are somehow not being included in the update to what is Due Today. I remember having this problem a while ago, but thought it was fixed with one of the point releases.

The only resolution appears to be restarting OF.

Is there some other way to get the app to "touch" these items and bring them into the perspective without restarting the app? Is this a known bug? Thanks for any feedback.

What happens if you bring up another window? Does it have the missing actions included and styled properly? I wonder if the issue is as simple as being asleep when the date changes causes the view not to be recomputed...

No - a new window doesn't help.

I was informed by Omni that this is a known bug.

I am really surprised that this isn't affecting a lot of people. How are people getting around this issue? All of my Due items are not updating as being Due every day, and I have to remember to relaunch Omni every morning.

This doesn't seem like Omni's usual quality control, but maybe I am missing an easy workaround...

It's not really a workaround, but I just don't sleep my machine overnight. I have the display set to sleep after a few minutes of inactivity, but the machine set to never sleep. The main reason I don't sleep the machine is that I have cron jobs and other backup scripts that run overnight.

Do you put your machine to sleep manually, or do you just let it fall asleep on its own? If you're doing it manually, you could use an Applescript. The script could exit OF, then put the machine to sleep. That would hack around the problem of forgetting to relaunch OF in the morning. It's admittedly a kludge, but would get you by until Omni fixes the bug.

Curt

Thats a good suggestion for the AppleScript - I may give that a shot.

I can't not sleep my machine - I tested the power draw on it once, and it is costing $10/month to run in electricity. I am hoping Apple comes out with quad-core iMacs at some point so I can replace it with a more power-efficient version.

Thanks for the script suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfneuralnet View Post
I am really surprised that this isn't affecting a lot of people. How are people getting around this issue?
It's affecting me! Only workaround, restart OF...
Waiting for a fix by the Omni people
:-)

The issue appears to be limited to those who sleep their computers, unless I've missed something. If you're going to put your computer to sleep to save some energy, why not shut it down and save even more, plus have a freshly started copy of everything in the morning? Reduces problems with memory leaks, this bug becomes a non-issue, and you can set the system to boot itself at a specific time so it is ready to go when you are.

I have a different solution: I use it around the clock, and if I'm not sleeping, my computer isn't going to be either :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfneuralnet View Post
Sometimes, especially after putting the machine to sleep, the view does not update overnight to include the new items that are now "due today".
Oh! Sorry, I don't think I'd ever seen "especially after putting the machine to sleep" associated with this bug before. In our database, it simply talks about how the Due Soon views sometimes won't update until view is refreshed somehow—but every time I've tried to reproduce this bug those views have refreshed on schedule for me, and without being able to reproduce the bug I wasn't sure how to try to solve it (other than to take some random stabs in the dark, hoping something will help).

But it sounds like the problem was that I wasn't putting my machines to sleep! Now that I know that's part of the issue, hopefully this will be much easier to track down. (My apologies to anyone else who'd already reported this detail in their own bug reports!)

Thanks Ken - that makes sense. I knew there must be something preventing you guys from addressing it quickly. It is very reproducible for me when the machine is put to sleep overnight.

Perhaps there is a way to to listen for the wake from sleep in OF and get it to check that the items are updated properly.

Glad we are making progress! Trying to save some money and be a little "green" at the same time here :)

This bug has just bitten me again today (missed an action to get my niece a birthday card) :-(

I reported this to the 'support ninjas' some months back, highlighting the fact that 'sleeping' the computer was involved. Any further news on being able to reproduce/fix?