The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus on iPad Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
PCalc seems to be my only paid app that got a free iPad update that just showed up as an update on my iPhone and iPad.

Free app updates to iPad include: Zillow, Now Playing, IMdb. All include new functionality.

Free apps that required separate downloads: Ebay, NPR.

Whats this have to do with OF iPad?

I can see devs don't have to recharge for paid apps to upgrade to iPad functionality. However, there must be a reason why other devs are requiring another download even for free apps? Different dev teams, code branches, app store confusion, $ ?

Last edited by blewis; 2010-04-03 at 11:28 AM..

Sorry, I have to play devil's advocate here.

There are people and businesses who rely on Sketcher and Graffle for a living. So no one can exactly dismiss those apps as mere toys.

At the same time, not everybody does GTD. There are some folks who are happy with the Things way of Getting Things Done (GTD). There's certainly a market for that. I think Things is a great introduction to OmniFocus. We've seen a lot of users hit a certain barrier with Things. There are features that OmniFocus has that Things doesn't have. They'll discover OmniFocus in time and gradually switch over.

Things replacing OmniFocus? I don' know about that. There are so many features in OmniFocus that are missing from Things. I couldn't possibly go to Things.

Seriously, would you want to change to Things just because of the iPad? I highly doubt that existing OmniFocus users will want to switch to Things.

It's easy to be an armchair quarterback when we're standing on the sidelines.

The OmniFolks are listening..... They did say their plans and schedules are fluid and subject to change. It's already changed since the January intro of the iPad. They are listening to us. Maybe not fast enough as we want them to be but they are listening.

Remember, there are many forces pulling at the OmniFolks. They still have to put resources into the upcoming OmniFocus 1.8 (and 2.0) as well as OmniOutliner 4.0 desktop and iPad editions. That's at least 4 projects on their plate right there! Then there's OmniPlan 2.0 for desktop and app editions.

In the other forums, some folks are hoping for OmniOutliner 4 desktop first and then telling them to put the iPad edition out later. Damned if they do. Damned if they don't.

One of the main reasons reasons anyone would by an iPad is for productivity purposes. While the iPhone app is great it is a huge disappointment that the iPad version of OmniFocus is missing; great disappointment because omnifocus becomes a necessity' rather than a luxury. Therefore once again I say "Great Dissapointment!".

Type with my iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I asked about this approach in a conversation with Ken; as far as we can tell, there's no way to unlock the higher-rez iPad interface from an in-app purchase. Universal apps just show the iPad interface on that device, and the iPhone interface on an iPhone.
What about offering a high version of the existing app as a free update, and an in-app purchase for the newer iPad specific interface?

You are not getting it and as a user you are giving the wrong management advise to the OmniGroup.
This is a dynamic market!
Software developers at Things are hard at work at developing their application. While Omnigroup is fragmenting its developers over a number of apps, Things developers are focused on one application and they will move forward.

I respect the Omnigoup for having a suite of applications. But when you have a larger company than your competitors, setting priorities is a key factor for success. And you ought to do that as a function of the market place.

When a new product like iPad hits the market, and it is in essence a game changer, you need to review and reset priorities. Omnifocus is one of your most profitable products. That should make you think as the wave of iPad is being unleashed upon the market place.

You are underestimating your customers and overestimating your product's success. You must be in the market to play and create the dynamics of the market. Having just the iPhone version is not going to cut it. You are not in the iPad market. Period. And you are disappointing your users. Is that your strategy?

Rethink your priorities and practice some stop management. Be a player in the market. You cannot use the fact that there are so many other products you have for not being there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post
Sorry, I have to play devil's advocate here.

There are people and businesses who rely on Sketcher and Graffle for a living. So no one can exactly dismiss those apps as mere toys.

At the same time, not everybody does GTD. There are some folks who are happy with the Things way of Getting Things Done (GTD). There's certainly a market for that. I think Things is a great introduction to OmniFocus. We've seen a lot of users hit a certain barrier with Things. There are features that OmniFocus has that Things doesn't have. They'll discover OmniFocus in time and gradually switch over.

Things replacing OmniFocus? I don' know about that. There are so many features in OmniFocus that are missing from Things. I couldn't possibly go to Things.

Seriously, would you want to change to Things just because of the iPad? I highly doubt that existing OmniFocus users will want to switch to Things.

It's easy to be an armchair quarterback when we're standing on the sidelines.

The OmniFolks are listening..... They did say their plans and schedules are fluid and subject to change. It's already changed since the January intro of the iPad. They are listening to us. Maybe not fast enough as we want them to be but they are listening.

Remember, there are many forces pulling at the OmniFolks. They still have to put resources into the upcoming OmniFocus 1.8 (and 2.0) as well as OmniOutliner 4.0 desktop and iPad editions. That's at least 4 projects on their plate right there! Then there's OmniPlan 2.0 for desktop and app editions.

In the other forums, some folks are hoping for OmniOutliner 4 desktop first and then telling them to put the iPad edition out later. Damned if they do. Damned if they don't.

I can't imagine a serious user of omnifocus giving it up to switch to things for iPad after a day or two of owning an iPad.

Plus, the intersection of iPad owners and omnifocus owners is very small.

If you're a new iPad owner and you're looking for a task manager and find things, that doesn't mean you won't switch at a later date to another app when the time comes, if you're unhappy or just curious.

I find it amusing that anyone would suggest they know better than the owners and managers of this company and I'm likely to dismiss them out of hand unless they have some special insight into this business specifically (and not just "business" generically.

Jason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haberjr View Post
You are not getting it and as a user you are giving the wrong management advise to the OmniGroup.
This is a dynamic market!
Software developers at Things are hard at work at developing their application. While Omnigroup is fragmenting its developers over a number of apps, Things developers are focused on one application and they will move forward.

I respect the Omnigoup for having a suite of applications. But when you have a larger company than your competitors, setting priorities is a key factor for success. And you ought to do that as a function of the market place.

When a new product like iPad hits the market, and it is in essence a game changer, you need to review and reset priorities. Omnifocus is one of your most profitable products. That should make you think as the wave of iPad is being unleashed upon the market place.

You are underestimating your customers and overestimating your product's success. You must be in the market to play and create the dynamics of the market. Having just the iPhone version is not going to cut it. You are not in the iPad market. Period. And you are disappointing your users. Is that your strategy?

Rethink your priorities and practice some stop management. Be a player in the market. You cannot use the fact that there are so many other products you have for not being there.

Hey, I'm all for having OmniFocus on the iPad on launch but it is what it is. For the folks who have iPhones, notebooks, or desktops and don't really get the iPad, they're not going to care at all. Personally I would have preferred OmniOutliner and OmniFocus as the launch products but I'm not at OmniGroup. I think they were already knee deep into developing OmniFocus 1.8 and OmniOutliner 4.0 when the iPad was introduced. They had to re-prioritize based on their current schedule (how far along they were in their product development cycles) and figured out which product(s) they could get out by iPad launch day.

I see Things on the iPad but I definitely am not going in that direction just because it is there.

I know people who still use regular cellphones and don't care one way or another. I think that those who regularly use OmniFocus probably already have an Apple notebook that works as their portable OmniFocus solution.

Serious business organizations will probably go the Apple notebook or desktop route instead of an iPad. The iPad is a head-turner. IT departments are still trying to figure out how to fit the iPad into their current workflow. And most IT departments are rather deliberate and slower to adopt something new like the iPad on day one. I suspect that most businesspeople would be bringing in their own iPad instead of waiting for the organization to get one for them.

iWork (Pages, Numbers, and Keynote) on the iPad sounds and looks spiffy but I think most people would rather use iWork on their notebook or desktop computer. It's the same with OmniFocus. I already have an OmniFocus solution and it is residing on my MacBook's dock.

I'm more interested in seeing OmniFocus 2.0 at this stage. IIRC the work on OmniOutliner 4 will directly benefit OmniFocus because they share many similarities (especially since OmniFocus' roots came from the OmniOutliner Kinkless GTD solution). So the more they work on OmniOutliner 4, the closer we get to OmniFocus 2.0 and OmniFocus on the iPad.

I think OG has every right to create a strategy & market their products. As consumers, we can vote with our own pocketbooks as to whether we like their strategy or not as well as provide feedback to them.

I for one didn't care if OG had incorporate new features in OF for iPad right now, but I wish they did what Amazon did - create a universal application that work on both (i.e., designed for native resolutions of both devices).

I will be using my iPad (starting Monday when it gets deliver to my office) a lot around work, home, traveling (as long as I have my briefcase) - it will be my device of choice while iPhone will be when I'm really on the move. I predict I'll be using my iPad a lot more than iPhone. So, it would have been great to have a version that's compatible with iPad.

These debates make me laugh. Thanks for the info Omni. I'm downloading Things.

I hate breaking it to people who seem set on expressing opinions not based on fact, but despite being blown up to double size, omnifocus works on iPad exactly as it does on iPhone.

I'm looking forward to an iPad native version as much as the next person, but my workflow isn't about shift so dramatically that I'm going to dump three years of omnifocus.

And I'm not going to be dumping my desktop computers in the next few weeks or months and completely replace them with an iPad either. And my desktop is where I do most of my omnifocus work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrhee View Post
I think OG has every right to create a strategy & market their products. As consumers, we can vote with our own pocketbooks as to whether we like their strategy or not as well as provide feedback to them.

I for one didn't care if OG had incorporate new features in OF for iPad right now, but I wish they did what Amazon did - create a universal application that work on both (i.e., designed for native resolutions of both devices).

I will be using my iPad (starting Monday when it gets deliver to my office) a lot around work, home, traveling (as long as I have my briefcase) - it will be my device of choice while iPhone will be when I'm really on the move. I predict I'll be using my iPad a lot more than iPhone. So, it would have been great to have a version that's compatible with iPad.