The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Newbie: Am I doing something wrong? Or Can Applescript help me? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm new not only to Omnifocus but the whole GTD workflow as well. The way I've sort of stumbled into it is to have two projects: a personal project and a work project.

It seems to be working fine for me, but there is one really irritating thing I'd love to know how to work around. When I focus on my "Work" project, and add new actions to it, they default to "Miscellaneous" and I have to manually change them every time. Is there a way around this? I'd love it if I have Omnifocus set to focus on a single project, any new actions I create would default to THAT project...

If not, is there a way Applescript can help? Problem is, I'm not expert enough in Applescript to be able to figure out where to begin.

Thanks in advance.

How are you adding the task? Seems to work for me.

Is Miscellaneous a Context? If so, open the inspector and set the Default Context.

Well, it works for me only if I am in the Project view mode. But I work in the Context view mode, while focusing on the work project.

It doesn't seem to matter whether I use the "Add Action" menu item, or highlight the context I want to add the action to and press return. Regardless, Omnifocus auto-enters "Miscellaneous" as the project. (I have miscellaneous set up as a project, not a context.)

You probably have the preferences configured to add actions without projects to the Miscellaneous single-action list. OF doesn't (yet) automatically putt new actions in the currently focused project. You may find that OF behaves more to your liking if you set the preferences to leave items without projects in the Inbox. Then you can drag them from the inbox to the appropriate project in Planning mode. You also might try turning on the project column in context view so its easier to set the project immediately.

Curt

Ok, thanks. That's what I was looking for. I will hope that in a near future version new actions will default to the project currently being focused on!!!

Be sure to use Help --> Send Feedback to submit your feature request.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
You probably have the preferences configured to add actions without projects to the Miscellaneous single-action list. OF doesn't (yet) automatically putt new actions in the currently focused project. You may find that OF behaves more to your liking if you set the preferences to leave items without projects in the Inbox.
I don't see a way to "prefer" to leave items without projects in the Inbox. On the Data tab, there is a preference for Default List for Single Actions where I can choose and existing single action list, or "Create When Needed", in which case I get the dreaded Miscellaneous. I (sort of) worked around this by created a single-action list name Inbox Single Actions, but I can't move this into my Inbox.

I like the idea of a preference to leave actions without projects in the Inbox, but how can I do it?

Tnx, K

Quote:
Originally Posted by kss View Post
I like the idea of a preference to leave actions without projects in the Inbox, but how can I do it?

Tnx, K
It's just above where you saw the place to specify the location of Single Action items. And it's worded the opposite way from which it's being discussed here.

At the very top of the Data tab, there are a series of radio buttons.
Clean Up Inbox items which have:
-A Project
-A Context
-Both a Project or a Context
-Either a Project or a Context