The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Location of un-foldered projects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have a handful little tasks which are mostly errands like "pickup the laundry". I didn't want them to be in a "project", but I've been forced to put them in a "misc" project to make them function properly. My "Misc" project and my "daily" project are the only 2 projects I do not have in folders.

When grouped by folders in the main project view, the "misc" project and the "daily" project show up under "none" all the way at the bottom.

Wouldn't it make more sense for these to show up at the top instead? I imagine most users will be using them the same way I will. They are almost an extension of the inbox.

Devil's advocate: If you have a misc. file, then you haven't reviewed enough. I call my similar un-project "Infrastructure".

I have multiple "Misc." projects at various levels of my project hierarchy. For instance I have a folder "House" with real projects like "Insulate attic" but also a "House Misc." project that might have an action like "Call lawn company and change schedule". The ".. Misc." naming is just that -- It could just as easily be called "House Single-step-tasks" (and Single-step-tasks are part of the GTD dogma).

The nice thing is that by not putting all my singles in one 'project' I can get more out of OF's 'Focus on' feature. If I'm at work and have access to a phone, I COULD call the lawn company, but if I focus on my work folder, then calling the lawn company won't appear in the context view. But a similar "Work Misc." project would.

You can just enter tasks like these directly in context view. That's what I'm doing at this point.

I've always preferred to keep these sorts of tasks in context lists. Do the laundry is simply attached to @Home, and never appears in the project list. Fortunately, the latest builds of OF support this sort of auxiliary list building. The one area where it might get a little gray is in that OF's context list is blended with the next action list. In my prior system, the two were very distinct, and so reviewing singletons was easy. They existed in context lists, projects in project lists; the two of which were interwoven together to create a next action list.

Having the NAs and the contextual singletons together means reviewing just the singletons could eventually become problematic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberV
I've always preferred to keep these sorts of tasks in context lists. Do the laundry is simply attached to @Home, and never appears in the project list.
That works too. The only thing I like better about my way (multiple singleton projects) is that if I really want to focus on work, for instance, I can get non-work singletons to NOT appear in the context list (and therefore not distract me from what I am trying to focus on). Selecting "Show All Projects" brings them back into the context view.

But to each their own.

One of the first things I requested in feedback was the ability to have tasks exist in context only and get cleaned up out of the inbox. Now that happens and I'm happy.

Since those individual tasks are by definition not part of a project there's no reason for me to artificially manufacture one to hold them. If the task is a multi step task then by definition it is in and of itself a project.

Amber - obviously the inverse of point 2 is easy since singletons don't appear when the filter "Next" is selected, just Available, All or Remaining. Which is relevant to your last post kmarkley - But just singletons....huh. Seems odd there isn't some way to sort by project name if you view them as ungrouped....though I guess the thinking is if you want to see project view you go to project view.

You could always flag em I suppose....

OR - if you add a character to the beginning of singletons, say a ` then you can view them ungrouped and sort by name. That will move them all up into one group at least.

I think the word "singleton" is a funny word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast
singletons don't appear when the filter "Next" is selected, just Available, All or Remaining. Which is relevant to your last post kmarkley - But just singletons....huh.
I want singletons that are related to an area of responibility that I am focusing on to appear in context view and those that are unrelated not to. I am willing to spend the extra 5 sec to assign singletons to my multiple singleton projects in order to accomplish this. But that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrover
I think the word "singleton" is a funny word.
You're right. And no k's or h's either.

It's not as funny as Dutch Monkey though.