The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus location functionality [SOLVED] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Location dependent contexts sounded great, but for me it isn't working at all. I have a few contexts that are fairly close together and OmniFocus always mixes them up. For example, when I am at the hardware store OmniFocus will think I am near it (<1km). Sometimes it also thinks I am at the hardware store when I am actually at home, which is about 1 km away.

I first blamed these problems on the fact that many of my locations are close together and my iPhone's (3G) GPS isn't brilliant. However, I just noticed that OmniFocus is pretty crap at pinpointing my location. While the native Google Maps app is pretty accurate (max. 100 meters off), OmniFocus often pinpoints me at the other side of town.

I'm not a software developer, but I would have thought that OmniFocus actually gets its coordinates from the Google Maps app. I therefore really don't understand why it is performing so much poorer.

Last edited by Schalke04; 2009-11-19 at 04:10 AM..

You should contact the support ninjas (Send Feedback, or email to omnifocus-iphone@omnigroup.com, or telephone 1-800-315-OMNI) -- that doesn't sound like the sort of behavior I get, and my iPod doesn't even have a GPS chip, so the localization isn't usually as precise!

It is possible that your choice of search parameters for the contexts might be the cause of the aberrant results. What happens if you enter the very same search string you have set for a location into the Maps application? Also, if you are doing compound searches (store A OR store B) if you don't have the syntax exactly correct you can get results that are right some of the time and wrong at others. As far as I know, both OmniFocus and the Maps application both use the same Location Services interface provided by Apple, so if the Maps application gets the location correct, OmniFocus should as well, provided that you are truly asking the same question.

I think the API offers developers a way to ask for a "quick and dirty" location and a more accurate one. The built-in Map application seems to provide better accuracy for me than the one in OF. Omni is aware of this issue, though folks can always use the Feedback link on the OF settings page to add their voices.

Curt

Interesting, I didn't know that. Perhaps the difference is irrelevant on an iPod Touch, which doesn't have multiple means of determining position.

I'm trying to add the word [SOLVED] to the title of this post, but my changes do not seem to take place. Anyway, my question has been aswered. Cheers Curt