The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Repeating multiple action-groups inside a repeating project Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hey!

I am prepping exams and I need to do exercises every day in a sequence.

So the repeat function is really handy for me.
I am a little confused though: if I set a group of actions to repeat will all the action within be there the next day?
I tried putting each and every action (group and non-group) on repeat mode but it messed up my available view. (not seeing or seeing items twice depending in the settings I tried)

Please help!

I'm not sure what to suggest, because it's not exactly clear to me what you're trying to achieve and what the problem is. I do think that OF's current treatment of repeating action groups is sorely limited (see this thread and this thread) for some of the problems/suggestions I've made on this issue).

So it's possible that you can't really achieve what you need in the current implementation. I'd encourage you to send some official feedback to Omni about this.

I read the threads and some of your issues with OF are similar to mine.

The application is prepping for a Jazz school exam.
So I need to do :
*Chords:
**Maj7
**Dom.7
**Maj6 etc...

And I need to do the same chords every day.
So I set up a project called "Daily studies" (set to repeat every day) with a group(also set to repeat) of actions for each task that contains the different scales and chords and what have you. The actions in the group are not set to repeat.

The next day the action group is there but it's empty.
In one of your threads (the second one I think) you don't set the project to repeat, I do. is it what's causing the problem?

Where I very much agree with you is for the auto-completing of groups.
I would appreciate that when the last chord is done the group would "notice" this.

I don't think that you want to have both the actions and the action group repeat. In fact, in the alpha versions of OF, you could only set one or the other to repeat. I'm not sure why they changed it. Also, it makes a difference if your groups are parallel or sequential. Mine needed to be sequential, which caused some of my problems. If yours can be parallel, that might simplify things.

When you say the actions aren't there the next day, be sure to check your filter settings. They may be there but just hidden, if they're not available, for example.

Right now I'm not using any complicated repeating actions, and I don't remember exactly what I did, or why.

I generally never set projects to repeat, only actions or action groups.

Good luck! And complain/make suggestions to Omni through the feedback menu item.

Oki. the action need to be sequential though.