The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Notebook Apps + OF? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I was thinking of buying a notebook app, like Circus Ponies or Devonthink or maybe even Yojimbo. To use to record (and tag/index/search) notes, replace stickies, and store clippings of stuff. I don't like outliners, and that's not really what I'm looking for here, so OO is not under consideration.

I'm a little hazy on this, not fully understanding the full functionality of OF, but I sense that there's some overlap. Is there a way to accomplish most of this with OF? Or is there such an app that plays well with OF? Or has anyone found a creative solution?

there are hundreds of note-taking applications - but i don't think any of them are similar to omni-focus which has quite different functionality. it's a task manager, and organiser. i suppose you could use it for storing notes, but it's not designed for that, and i think it wouldn't be very easy to retrieve the information.

i love outliners, and start nearly all my new projects inside OmniOutliner. OmniFocus itself is a kind of outliner, and was developed out of OmniOutliner.

i have CircusPonies notebook, but never use it - it just wasn't for me - try it -you might get on with it, it's very well-designed and functional, but i just didn't get on with the virtual paper notebook metaphor.

try DevonThink, i use it for collecting research. it's really powerful, and its artificial intelligence features are amazing when collecting and searching for lots of data. i could also mention Soho notes and Journler, which are both very well thought out, and laid out like a finder / iTunes three pane window

hope this helps

Last edited by kened; 2009-05-31 at 11:29 PM..

I've used DEVONthink as well and the AI functionality is very neat. Make sure you really want or need the AI functionality. I purchased a Pro license a little over 3 years ago and I don't use DEVONthink anymore as I just didn't use it to retrieve information as much as I thought I would.

Also worth considering is Evernote. This is what I use for a digital "notebook" nowadays. There are clients for Windows, Mac, iPhone, Windows Mobile, and the web. Evernote also has a free account with some good functionality. I have been on board with Evernote for over a year now and it is the one that has stuck with me for the longest so far.

YMMV and choose what works for you. Draft up a list of apps to try and test drive them one at a time and document what you thought about each one. I think you got a checklist for an OF project. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
I've used DEVONthink as well and the AI functionality is very neat. Make sure you really want or need the AI functionality. I purchased a Pro license a little over 3 years ago and I don't use DEVONthink anymore as I just didn't use it to retrieve information as much as I thought I would.

Also worth considering is Evernote. This is what I use for a digital "notebook" nowadays. There are clients for Windows, Mac, iPhone, Windows Mobile, and the web. Evernote also has a free account with some good functionality. I have been on board with Evernote for over a year now and it is the one that has stuck with me for the longest so far.

YMMV and choose what works for you. Draft up a list of apps to try and test drive them one at a time and document what you thought about each one. I think you got a checklist for an OF project. ;)
Evernote is pretty amazing application. I use it all the time.

J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Schoenfeld View Post
I was thinking of buying a notebook app, like Circus Ponies or Devonthink or maybe even Yojimbo.
I am finding DEVONthink 2 very powerful as an adjunct to OmniFocus, and have written some Applescripts to integrate their use.

See the thread at:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...0931#post60931