The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

URL of downloaded file in Spotlight comments? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
As the title says.

Wouldn´t it be nice to have OW automatically write the URL of a downloaded file to the Spotlight comments of said file?

Does it not still do this, as it used to in earlier versions of OmniWeb (write to the Comments field anyway - not so sure it did it since Tiger and Spotlight as I haven't had the need to look)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphaag
Wouldn´t it be nice to have OW automatically write the URL of a downloaded file to the Spotlight comments of said file?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
Does it not still do this, as it used to in earlier versions of OmniWeb (write to the Comments field anyway - not so sure it did it since Tiger and Spotlight as I haven't had the need to look)?
No, not at the moment (at least in my copy!)

This is a very handy feature, and I'd also like to see it extended to images dragged from a page (it's even harder to remember where they came from!)

One thing to consider; this feature wrote the URL to the comments field, as there was no better alternative. Now that we have extended attributes via Spotlight (see the More Info section of the Get Info window) perhaps this detail be written to the 'Where From' attribute?

Of course, at the moment Apple doesn't allow you to interact with that data (e.g. Ctrl-click to visit the root URL) so it may not be perfect... just a thought.

Last edited by marc; 2006-05-05 at 07:43 AM..

I'm all for this feature too. It was IE 5 mac that used to do this, and it was such a simple but useful resource. If it could work for dragged images too (as Marc suggested) then even better!

There was some discussion about this back in either the OW 4.5 or 5.0 days. There was a period of time where it was really hard for the OG to write that data as it was a common source for crashes. I wouldn't be surprised if it went away, but I sure hope it stays.

This was lost in the move to WebKit, we have a bug open to restore the feature (which should happen for the final release).

So did Omniweb used to do this?

Anyway, great to see this in sp10!

Yes, writing the URL of the download to the file's comments has been an OmniWeb feature since 2001. (I think we introduced it in a 4.1 beta, pulled it briefly because we were tickling some bug in the Finder, then found a way to bring it back in 4.2.)

« OmniWeb 5.5 Sneaky Peek 10 Release Notes

The source URL will now be added to the comments section of a downloaded file.

... »

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckmack
« OmniWeb 5.5 Sneaky Peek 10 Release Notes
The source URL will now be added to the comments section of a downloaded file.
... »
Just to be a broken record, how about adding the URL to images dragged to the desktop (once that's working, of course)?

This would be helpful in back-tracking to where an interesting image came from -- comes up a lot for me... no-one else?