The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Confused about repeating tasks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have a single action list that is I use for simple, repeating tasks.

Example: Change A/C filter every 3 months. So I set the start date for tomorrow and for it to repeat every 3 months from the date of completion. I'm not using a due date since it's not a problem if I don't do it on the exact date.

So I'm using a start date only, no due date. That's my current method. But, is this the best way to do this? What difference would it make if I added a due date also? Say 10 pm the night that it started? Or should I not use a start date at all in this case and just use a due date?

I simply don't get the difference between using the start date, the due date, or both, and when the circumstances are best for one over the other two.

Thanks for any help.

The existence of a start date is one of the ways OF distinguishes "Remaining" actions from "Available" actions. Actions with a start date in the future are considered "Remaining" actions, while those with no start date or a start date in the past are "Available". So setting a start date is one way to hide an action from view (by only showing "Available" actions) until it's time to do it.

On the other hand, OF uses various text styles/colors to highlight things that are coming due or past due.

In your example, you can do things different ways, depending on when and how you want the action to be visible in OF. You probably want to set a start date (so that you don't have to look at "Change AC filter" every day for three months). I would probably also set due date, for a couple days or weeks later as a prompt for me to actually do it, but that's more a matter of taste.

Thanks Chris. Much clearer now.

Cheers.