The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus export to OmniFocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
We need some level of Sharing in OmniFocus for situations just like you mentioned. I don't feel that OmniPlan is the right sort of app for this level of engagement. Why do I need omniplan if I just want to make sure my wife and I are in sync with our ToDo's?

We've been using zenbelists for our shared Tasks as of late since I rely of collaborative Task Work. We may switch over to Evernote and Egretlist though as I am starting to like the fidelity of our options with it.

FWIW I've been on a quest to see better collaborative tools within OmniFocus, but because of the nature of my work, I've since moved on from using it for any real work stuff. Internally @ the office we've migrated to an OpenSource Task Management tool called TaskFreak which allows us to Share and Collaborate in the way that I want to work. Each Project and Task is permissions based and so far has been doing the job I wish I could have done in OF.

I find that most people on the OG site don't find much value in Collaborative work within OF, and will always tell you to use OmniPlan...but in reality, OP isn't the solution as there are no Sharing Tools within it.

I hope this changes soon as I really like OF, but I am not finding it to be all that it can be for the way I work.

Don't get me wrong...it's a wonderful app if you are into just keeping track of the things you and only you need to do...but as someone with a rather layered life who works with others quite a bit, I really need something that is fluid and allows me to share milestones and tasks with others.

Oh well, as the mantra goes, "Use what works, and use it well."

For what it's worth i've started an online Feature list:
http://www.evernote.com/pub/policarp...usenhancements
Let me know if you are interested in collaborating and I'll send you access to the Notebook.

Last edited by policarpo; 2010-08-16 at 10:09 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by policarpo View Post
I find that most people on the OG site don't find much value in Collaborative work within OF, and will always tell you to use OmniPlan...but in reality, OP isn't the solution as there are no Sharing Tools within it.
I won't speak for anyone but myself, but I think the point being made when OP is suggested is that it is a better tool for planning the work of several people than OF is, not that OP is currently an ideal tool for each of those people to manage their own work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I won't speak for anyone but myself, but I think the point being made when OP is suggested is that it is a better tool for planning the work of several people than OF is, not that OP is currently an ideal tool for each of those people to manage their own work.
Well having used OP I do find its positive attributes, but for anything dealing with Delegation, Sharing or Collaboration it doesn't work @ all.

I generally don't spec out deliverables in a PM app since I work directly with Project Managers to establish Milestones and Review dates. I spec out with them when things will get done...and then from this outline I delegate tasks to my team. I had a pretty decent system working with OmniFocus, iCal, BusySync and Anxiety, but in the end it proved too much hand holding on my part, and we decided on TaskFreak.

Anyway, I feel like we keep talking in circles about this feature request (it's always a, "I don't need it so why build it," argument whenever the subject comes up...or use OmniPlan to do all of it).

OP isn't the answer since it doesn't really do this now.
OF isn't the answer since it doesn't do this now.
So what is the answer? Use something that does...but man, I really want the feature in OF ya know. :)

Having had a brief look at TaskFreak, I think you'll be back one of these days :-)

Quote:
Having had a brief look at TaskFreak, I think you'll be back one of these days :-)
Well so far it's working for my Collaborative Needs. But I am always up for things which will make my life easier.

We reskinned the app so now it looks beautiful. ;^). I'll post a screenshot when I get back to my desk.

Here's the screenshot of the UI update of TaskFreak FWIW

Last edited by policarpo; 2010-08-16 at 04:06 PM..

Quote:
You can speak for me too, whpalmer :-)