The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Centering Objects in Automatic Layout Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Let's say I want to generate an ancestry diagram. I start with me and go up x generations. My question is how to generate such a diagram automatically so it is optimized to look the best.

The first thing you need to so is to set the connection magnets to 2 magnets, north and south. This prevents the connections from starting on the side of the person, which makes no sense in this context.

I then set up Automatic Layout with Hierarchical Layout and Bottom-to-Top direction. So far so good.

I know that I can adjust the spacing using the Rank Separation and Object Separation settings in the Object Layout, which helps a bit.

What I can't figure out is how to insure that any given object is centered between the objects above it in the diagram. Without centering the objects based on the objects above them in the diagram (above them visually, I guess below them hierarchically) it looks very messy. The only way I see to fix this is to group the two objects above a given object, then slide the object over until I see the center alignment line, and work my way through the whole diagram, which is obviously very time-consuming and doesn't scale very well at the diagram gets bigger.

Is there a way to center these objects automatically? Thanks.